AfterDawn Forums

EncodeHD to watch media

This discussion thread has 9 messages.

I just bought my friend's 360 and I don't have the optional media update. I don't have a way to get it as I don't have the wifi adapter, or internet at the place I live, so I'm out of luck and may never beable to get the update.

I have a compatable WD 1TB external hdd and my question is, If I use EncodeHD and encode my avi files with the xbox 360 settings, will i beable to run these from usb?

I've looked around and I know you need the media update for watching avi files for sure, I was just wondering if this would change anything at all?

I'm sure this question is just a simple yes or no so sorry I'm kind of nooby since I just got my xbox a few days ago =)

Thanks guys
▼▼ This topic has 8 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
The 360 can play WMVs and I think mp4s right out of the box without updates

Originally posted by w00ly:
The 360 can play WMVs and I think mp4s right out of the box without updates
oh cool, thanks alot! I'll try it out
I'm fairly certain it can't play mp4's... at least I haven't been able to get them to work after running videos though gotsent. Your best bet would be to try WMV.
I just tried WMV's last night, it worked fine

I guess i don't have any mp4 files but i'll convert one tonight and try it out

if not I guess my only option is to encode everything to WMV which isn't very good quality but I'm not to picky

I just wish they had AVI support right out of the box, it must not of been too hard to do if they can add it on with a simple update
jasonx1 Suspended due non-functional email address
thats why xbox is crap get a ps3 there play avi mp4 right out the box

pal ps3 slim 120gb hdd version great
Originally posted by jasonx1:
thats why xbox is crap
Dude, your posting in a the xbox 360 forum here.

@OP, you can always install tversity on your PC and stream the videos.

To get instant assistance with Flashing / JTAG / Homebrew from experts for free! click me (Im not one of the said experts BTW)

Make poverty history, cheaper drugs NOW!
there is a way to stream HD MKV files from your PC to your 360 but the PC MUST have Win7 installed.
Click HERE for more info.

Originally posted by miketrev:
Originally posted by jasonx1:
thats why xbox is crap
Dude, your posting in a the xbox 360 forum here.

@OP, you can always install tversity on your PC and stream the videos.
Or use windows media player, it works surprisingly well.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.