AfterDawn Forums

is it possible at all to flash without opening up the 360

This discussion thread has 23 messages.

I don't wanna go through the hassle of opening up my 360, is there any way that I can flash it through the usb port?

Also, assuming i can't do this, can anyone suggest a ide - usb adapter that will work for flashing the 360. I haven't done it before but i think you need to open the drive outside the windows OS. As far as I know, most adapters won't do this. Can anyone suggest me one that will work?
▼▼ This topic has 22 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
does the search bar on your computer not work? this question is asked every single week.

Come talk with us on efnet at #elitemods !!! or just click ME

ALSO, DO NOT SEND ME MESSAGES ON LIVE REGARDING MODDING CONSOLES, OR HOW I PLAYED A CERTAIN GAME EARLY. I WILL NOT RESPOND. I WILL INSTEAD DELETE YOUR MESSAGE, AND BLOCK ALL COMMUNICATION FROM YOU. JUST SEND ME A PM ON HERE.
well then, i guess i helped fill this weeks quota. =)
alright, fair enough, i'll do a search.
Originally posted by wabashman:
does the search bar on your computer not work? this question is asked every single week.

Seems more like every single day.

kenio8185 to be able to flash you gotta be able to connect to the back of the 360's DVD drive.

You gotta a lotta reading to do, my friend.

i'll do my reading, i've modded ps2's, wii's, psp's, ds's (although the ds one is incredibly easy).

Anyways, i tried searching for an adapter, i can't find one. Can you guys at least help me out by suggesting one? I don't wanna open my computer (although i can), this is easier for me. So ya, can you suggest me a (apperently SATA, not ide) SATA to usb adapter that will work for modding a 360?
well first, you need to figure out which drive you even have. then you will need to buy a via 6421 PCI card as more than likely your computers sata chipset isnt compatible. then you will need to read, read again, and re-read again, the tutorials on how to flash whichever drive you have.

ALSO, DO NOT SEND ME MESSAGES ON LIVE REGARDING MODDING CONSOLES, OR HOW I PLAYED A CERTAIN GAME EARLY. I WILL NOT RESPOND. I WILL INSTEAD DELETE YOUR MESSAGE, AND BLOCK ALL COMMUNICATION FROM YOU. JUST SEND ME A PM ON HERE.
Originally posted by wabashman:
well first, you need to figure out which drive you even have. then you will need to buy a via 6421 PCI card as more than likely your computers sata chipset isnt compatible. then you will need to read, read again, and re-read again, the tutorials on how to flash whichever drive you have.

Well, I know that I have a hitachi drive. Also, (correct me if i'm wrong) but SATA is the newer one right? If so, then I have a SATA drive for my computer. However, i don't want to open up my computer, which is why i need a usb adapter that will work for modding a 360. Unfortunately, as far as i know, most usb adapters won't work for modding a 360 since they don't work unless the OS opens up. I need one that will work even if the OS hasn't opened yet.
you flash all the drives within windows. so like it was suggested before, do some researching, then ask your questions. all that you have asked so far would have been answered within 5 minutes of reading the tutorial for jungle flasher.

it is in FACT possible to flash the xbox 360 without removing the case.
you will need two very important items to do this.

you will need to go to your local retail store and purchace one can of zippo lighter fluid and a bic lighter (matches will work but the lighter will give you a more clean look when finished).
squirt all the contents of lighter fluid on xbox and flick your bic.
presto...one flashed xbox and you didnt remove the case.
this procedure comes in very handy for lazy ass people who dont want to put a little effort something.

I have lost all and any respect i had for this site!
Originally posted by fudpucker:
it is in FACT possible to flash the xbox 360 without removing the case.
you will need two very important items to do this.

you will need to go to your local retail store and purchace one can of zippo lighter fluid and a bic lighter (matches will work but the lighter will give you a more clean look when finished).
squirt all the contents of lighter fluid on xbox and flick your bic.
presto...one flashed xbox and you didnt remove the case.
this procedure comes in very handy for lazy ass people who dont want to put a little effort something.

That's not the only way to flash the xbox without removing the case. All he needs is a trench coat. Then just sneak up on the Xbox, and BAM!!!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Aug 2009 @ 1:37

Yes, the trench coat makes the drive tremble and give in. If you scare it good enough, you can play PS3 games on your 360.
Or you could simply use a flashlight.

Xbox 360: Slim untouched with a faked 320 GB harddrive for XBL, phat with LT 3.0, played Halo early, so going on live would be an instand ban, also with a faked 320 GB harddrive
PS3: Untouched 160 GB Slim, 60 GB Fat with latest Rogero and 160 GB internal harddrive.
PSVita: hardly ever play it
GameCube: Black with a Viper chip installed. With gameboy player. Trying to get a Wavebird controller.
I heard something about even the peanut butter method working to flash without opening to case...not sure of the details, have yet to find the tutorial.

Free media!
you guys are so funny! anyways team xecuter sells a device that replaces the dock your hard drive sits on and enables you to flash with out opening your case. Its sort of expensive and requires a bit of soldering though.
chris4160 Suspended account
Originally posted by tcs614:
you guys are so funny! anyways team xecuter sells a device that replaces the dock your hard drive sits on and enables you to flash with out opening your case. Its sort of expensive and requires a bit of soldering though.
You mean the blaster 360? That does not require any soldering... but I would suggest not to buy it.
my bad i thought i read somewhere that it requires soldering
Originally posted by eebeejay:

That's not the only way to flash the xbox without removing the case. All he needs is a trench coat. Then just sneak up on the Xbox, and BAM!!!
LMAO

You will still need to open both your xbox and your PC when you use the blaster 360. Read the sticky, ready again
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Aug 2009 @ 6:29

To get instant assistance with Flashing / JTAG / Homebrew from experts for free! click me (Im not one of the said experts BTW)

Make poverty history, cheaper drugs NOW!

Plus you have to open your case to fit it anyway.
The only response I have to this other than the wide eyes and look of amazment I have at the moment is this: If you are afraid to open up your computer, then flashing your '360 is something you should NOT attempt. Don't be so cheap and just pay someone who knows what they're doing $30 or whatever to do it for you.

Not sure about the old ones, but the newer Blaster 360 NEXT EDITION doesn't need soldering. Actually they are pretty useful if you use the 0800 firmware for ripping games.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 20 Aug 2009 @ 19:48

Originally posted by zarqy:
The only response I have to this other than the wide eyes and look of amazment I have at the moment is this: If you are afraid to open up your computer, then flashing your '360 is something you should NOT attempt. Don't be so cheap and just pay someone who knows what they're doing $30 or whatever to do it for you.
Listen to the wise man speak. I fix computers in work on a daily basis. Opening a Xbox is a whole new level
when will people even take the slightest initiative? i know not everyone is into taking stuff apart and doing hours of research just for the sake of learning-but if thats the case, maybe something like this shouldnt be attempted. our society has become full of people that want to reap all the benefits of things without doing any of the leg work. personally, when i got into the scene, i couldnt read enough because it was all so interesting. sorry for the rant but im alittle drunk and kind of sick of such lazy questions. props to guys like wabashman and leerage who have the patience to deal with the same old questions :)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Aug 2009 @ 4:57
Originally posted by uturn68:
props to guys like wabashman and leerage who have the patience to deal with the same old questions :)
Agree. No doubt Id have a few dead xbox's if it wasnt for these guys.

Also, Drunk? What time is it where you are? Its morning here in the UK (well just passed)

To get instant assistance with Flashing / JTAG / Homebrew from experts for free! click me (Im not one of the said experts BTW)

Make poverty history, cheaper drugs NOW!
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.