AfterDawn Forums

Is there an Xbox 360 iso extractor for Mac or xbox itself?

This discussion thread has 11 messages.

Hi, there seems to be a lot of tools around to do this for PC, but nothing for MAC. I've spent hours, trawled forums and downloaded a few free apps, but nothing seems to work. My macs all want to mount the image as a DVD which is too small and doesn't include the necessary files for xbox to read.

All I want to do is extract an .iso to the usual confusing collection of xbox files - including the all important xex. The idea was to then pop the files onto a USB drive and launch the programme via XeX or whatever.

Ooooor.... is there an app for the Xbox itself? I know even a jtagged Xbox can't run .iso files from the container, but is there an app that can unpack them into a useable format?

I know, I know. Gat a PC, run parallels or bootcamp, burn the iso onto a disk...

But surely I'm not the only one with a Mac and a jtagged xbox? And surely with all the talented writers out there, someone's come up with an elegant solution that extracts .iso files on the xbox itself?? Or at least lets you extract and copy to a hard drive rather than go through the process of burning a disk??

jtag xbox noob
▼▼ This topic has 10 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Uhh if you know about bootcamp why don't you just go ahead and do it?

It takes about an hour, doesn't cost anything *assuming you have the media*, and there is no downside to it.

If anything you are improving the computer by putting windows on it.
on your mac use xdisk

on your jtag xbox, just use the copy dvd function, this will extract to file format on your hard drive (in the games folder)

To get instant assistance with Flashing / JTAG / Homebrew from experts for free! click me (Im not one of the said experts BTW)

Make poverty history, cheaper drugs NOW!
Thanks, but I can't make xdisk work. I've tried 3 different copies on 2 very different Macs using 3 different .ISOs and it just keeps saying they're not valid. The ISO's should be good - they're the most popular ones being seeded, they're the right size and comments indicate they're proper. I've downloaded 5 or 6 similar OSX Xbox apps and none of them worked. Most are designed to split, patch and burn to a disk anyway. I don't want a disk, I want to go straight from .ISO to usb drive. It's doable on a PC but so far, not Mac. And I can't find any homebrew apps for the Xbox which can extract ISOs. Unless I'm missing something - which is entirely possible, hence my asking the experts here.

Yes, I could, and probably will, just give up and go from original game disks, to the Xbox using Xex or the Xbox's built in copy to HD function. But it's frustrating when I know it's possible to DL and convert .ISOs on a PC. And theoretically, it should be simpler to extract an ISO and copy it to an Xbox, or extract an ISO on the Xbox itself, rather than burn a disk with split layers and patching all that jazz.

As for bootcamp, I know about it (kind of) but don't actually have it. Getting it and installing it is quite an effort, and from what I understand, I still need an original copy of windows or XP or vista or whatever the heck windows uses. As I haven't had a PC for 10 years or more, it's a world of hurt.

So I guess I'll just stick to original game disks. It's no biggie, I just wondered if there was an easy way to extract downloaded ISOs - without having to find a friend with windows.

N
Xexmenu / FSD with both extract a ISO to file format to the HDD if you use the copy function.

jpizzle posted a Mac program a while ago that does exactly this, ill try dig it out.

EDIT : http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-152/_osxiso360_v0_3-852108/

There ya go!
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 19 Aug 2010 @ 18:53

To get instant assistance with Flashing / JTAG / Homebrew from experts for free! click me (Im not one of the said experts BTW)

Deliberate double post so OP gets another email (you dont get these with edits). Sorry mods, please don't be mad @ me :D Its not like im trying to bump my title :D

http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-152/_osxiso360_v0_3-852108/

There ya go!

Wicked! Thanks miketrev - and talk about a speedy reply. Legend.

I'll give that proggie a go a bit later (I'm at work right now - working hard obviously).

But with Xexmenu and FSD, I thought you could only use the copy function on an actual disk? Are you saying all I have to do is stick an ISO on the hard drive, select it and hit 'copy'?

Because that would be super stylish and I'd feel like a right twat for not working it out myself.

N

jtag xbox noob
Originally posted by havanotha:
But with Xexmenu and FSD, I thought you could only use the copy function on an actual disk? Are you saying all I have to do is stick an ISO on the hard drive, select it and hit 'copy'?
Ah, you are correct, you cant do that with a ISO. Too many Vodka and redbulls on my part :D

Mm. Thought so. I'm kind of dumb when it comes to this stuff, but I'm pretty sure I tried that.

Ah vodka. Hopefully I'll be there too in a few hours.

Anyway, I'll try that app as soon as I get home. OK, as soon as I get home and pour a drink. After that.

N

jtag xbox noob
Nope, just tried it. And it's one I think I've tried before. 3 machines now, and it won't open on any of them.

Also, heads up, that link in your sig goes to the wrong place. But I found another one after that DL link you sent:

http://www.elitemodscene.com/irc/ircconnect.html

and someone there's now scratching their head about it. Oh and telling me I'm an idiot for having a Mac.

N

jtag xbox noob
Updated my sig, hope you get it sorted man.

This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.