AfterDawn Forums

Philips Dual Layer any good?

This discussion thread has 14 messages.

I found these Philips Dual Layer discs online and they're really cheap compared to Memorex and Verbatim and I was wondering if anyone has tried them and if so could you tell me if they're any good?

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u...n-cake-box-50pk
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 22 Jun 2010 @ 17:13
▼▼ This topic has 13 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
why do you people continue to ask about shit media. theres a reason we recommend the expensive ones.

Come talk with us on efnet at #elitemods !!! or just click ME

ALSO, DO NOT SEND ME MESSAGES ON LIVE REGARDING MODDING CONSOLES, OR HOW I PLAYED A CERTAIN GAME EARLY. I WILL NOT RESPOND. I WILL INSTEAD DELETE YOUR MESSAGE, AND BLOCK ALL COMMUNICATION FROM YOU. JUST SEND ME A PM ON HERE.
Theres your answer, and dont use memorex either
VERBATIM is the only way to go .
Verbatim is the best, it's not true that you absolutly have to, but if you use the cheaper medium then it cause your dvd drive to work harder when reading the disc and then you have to get a new drive.

So either spend the extra 50 pence on a more expensive disc and extend the life span of your drive, or buy a replacement now befor they become too rare (I imagine this will be soon as microsoft are not building any more fat 360's) a spare drive will cost about 30 at the moment, then flash it with your old firmware key and spoof it (if its not the same drive) I dont know what drive has the best lifespan but I would think the newer benq or liteon may be better at reading user burnt discs.

I would suggest doing both to be honest burn to verbatim and buy a back up drive just incase.

Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
C. S. Lewis
Verbs again are not REQUIRED but in all honesty....if a 20 pack of verbs is 2.50ea and each game is roughly 60 bucks a pop would you rather have to spend twice the money on twice the disks to get twice or thrice the coasters? The argument is getting old and pointless. Just shut the fuck up a buy verbatims so you don't come bitching to us when you get 4 coasters and your "doing everything right"
You guys aren't really explaining why Verbatim is so good...because it won't fuck up my disc drive? That's the reason the discs are good? I don't really understand what atributes the discs have to score well in to make them good quality. Could someone elaborate?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Jun 2010 @ 0:08
Ive used other dual layer dvd and its a waste of time . If you can get one to work you have to stick it in the damn drive like twenty time before it will read . Then it will freeze in the middle of the game . Verbatim read the first time every time .
Originally posted by pimplazy1:
You guys aren't really explaining why Verbatim is so good...because it won't fuck up my disc drive? That's the reason the discs are good? I don't really understand what atributes the discs have to score well in to make them good quality. Could someone elaborate?
Why not search and read the many times this has been discussed before?

To get instant assistance with Flashing / JTAG / Homebrew from experts for free! click me (Im not one of the said experts BTW)

Make poverty history, cheaper drugs NOW!
Originally posted by pimplazy1:
It's one of the reasons another is the failure rate of cheaper discs is very high although you will hear some people say they have only had 4 discs turned in to coasters out of a 25 pack (often a lot more) you dont hear of anyone having that with verbatim.

A verbatim costs about a pound which is twice what some of the cheaper ones cost but its 44 pounds cheaper then buying a new game or replacing a disc you bought and then scratched.

If its all you can get in your area then use them or if you think we all work for verbatim and are just trying to get you to buy our product then use cheaper ones and see how it goes you might get lucky.

If I were going to use them I would rip the game to my hard drive so you reduce stress on the laser.

Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
C. S. Lewis
Verbatims are identical in every aspect where as every other company has minor or major variations in each disk. If you did the same thing using the same system every day woudn't you work better and longer cause you understand the way it works and not changing up every day making you think harder and do things so different.

Mods are like games.....GO BIG OR GO HOME!!
Hi...

New to this but just finished fixing a few rrod's and wanted to burn a few games. I listen and bought 3 to a pack Verbatims DVD-R DL. They didn't work?? I bought a pack of 25 Philips DVD+R DL and so far they've worked in both Benq & Hitachi drives (about 7 games for each drive)...

I used imgburn, speed 2 and the same setting for both kinds of discs.

Don't know why but I've had no luck with the Verbatims... also -R's were suggested and I was having a hard time finding V'S in +R... I'll stick with the Philips.

my burn drive LG GH22
my .02
buds4
if you got -r's thats why they didnt work....get +r's and it will

Come talk with us on efnet at #elitemods !!! or just click ME

ALSO, DO NOT SEND ME MESSAGES ON LIVE REGARDING MODDING CONSOLES, OR HOW I PLAYED A CERTAIN GAME EARLY. I WILL NOT RESPOND. I WILL INSTEAD DELETE YOUR MESSAGE, AND BLOCK ALL COMMUNICATION FROM YOU. JUST SEND ME A PM ON HERE.
Originally posted by buds4:
Hi...

New to this but just finished fixing a few rrod's and wanted to burn a few games. I listen and bought 3 to a pack Verbatims DVD-R DL. They didn't work?? I bought a pack of 25 Philips DVD+R DL and so far they've worked in both Benq & Hitachi drives (about 7 games for each drive)...

I used imgburn, speed 2 and the same setting for both kinds of discs.

Don't know why but I've had no luck with the Verbatims... also -R's were suggested and I was having a hard time finding V'S in +R... I'll stick with the Philips.

my burn drive LG GH22
my .02
buds4
Only dvd+r dl mate never anything else, as has been said the cheap discs will work but they will hurt your dvd drive in the long run. I'm amazed you managed to find dvd-r dl actually but yeah they wont work because they just wont, its only dvd+r dl.

C. S. Lewis
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.