AfterDawn Forums

Reflow with a Butane Torch

This discussion thread has 9 messages.

Instead of trying the heatgun method I think i would rather use a butane torch, it should have plenty of heat to melt the solder and be a lot more concentrated than a heatgun, just wondering if anyone has any tips for using them? I guess i don't want the flame anywhere near touching the board. I was thinking of mounting the board on some blocks and getting on the floor underneath it and blasting it from underneath on the GPU, H/ANA and RAM chips.

I have three failed xboxs here, two that have had their xclamps removed but have rrod'd again.

I should also say that getting an MS repair is out of the question, and getting them fixed on a reflow is also out of the question.
▼▼ This topic has 8 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Way too hot in my opinion, as butane torches get to several thousand degrees and you only want a few hundred.

360 Benq ixtreme 1.6, Talismoon Whispermax (blue), custom window, black metallic paint, western digital 120gb hard drive
Wii (launch console) 3.3 Twilight Hack wiigator .3g
fat PSP 3.51 m33-7
DS (original blue) g6 lite flash kit w/passcard
Originally posted by kdn:
Instead of trying the heatgun method I think i would rather use a butane torch, it should have plenty of heat to melt the solder and be a lot more concentrated than a heatgun, just wondering if anyone has any tips for using them? I guess i don't want the flame anywhere near touching the board. I was thinking of mounting the board on some blocks and getting on the floor underneath it and blasting it from underneath on the GPU, H/ANA and RAM chips.

I have three failed xboxs here, two that have had their xclamps removed but have rrod'd again.

I should also say that getting an MS repair is out of the question, and getting them fixed on a reflow is also out of the question.
please, please, please, please post some before and after pictures when you blow torched your xbox. i would like to know how total carnage looks like...
you are a greater and more daring man than i am (or to put it differently, i wouldn't suggest it and like to agree with db5034)... but if you choose to ignore our (perhaps wrong?) advice, pictures please.... ;-)
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 18 Sep 2009 @ 10:33
If my xbox rrod again and the rescrewing dont work Ill use a blowtorch on it... but just cause i cant get my hands on a shotgun.

:-D

I would try a flamethrower rather than a butane torch.

Jungle Flasher Tutorial | Jungle Flasher Troubleshooting Guide | Latest JF version: 0.1.75 | <-- All credit goes to Team Jungle/HyperX.
360 Drives and Motherboard Identification | Make a Bootable USB Drive | JF walk-through for <BenQ> <Samsung> <All LiteOns>
well what i would suggest is using a weller pyropen its a mini handheld butane torch that has a small nozzel that would isolate the heat to where you want it instead of all over the place i have used this torch to remove nand chips of the board so i know the heat is sufficiant and is not over kill
Originally posted by dennisv9:

please, please, please, please post some before and after pictures when you blow torched your xbox. i would like to know how total carnage looks like...
you are a greater and more daring man than i am (or to put it differently, i wouldn't suggest it and like to agree with db5034)... but if you choose to ignore our (perhaps wrong?) advice, pictures please.... ;-)
sorry to disappoint everyone, but I had my mobo sitting there with 3rings, put the torch across the GPU, still rings, but it across southbridge, still rings, did all the ram and cpu, still rings. Got to the point where I was ready to give up, turn the torch onto full power and went across the CPU and GPU once more and bingo.. green lights!! no major damage either, only one small spot where the mobo blistered up (about 2mm diameter) but this box was ready to be chucked out anyway so im pretty happy and this fix should last just as long as any xclamp fix.

sorry to disappoint everyone, but I had my mobo sitting there with 3rings, put the torch across the GPU, still rings, but it across southbridge, still rings, did all the ram and cpu, still rings. Got to the point where I was ready to give up, turn the torch onto full power and went across the CPU and GPU once more and bingo.. green lights!! no major damage either, only one small spot where the mobo blistered up (about 2mm diameter) but this box was ready to be chucked out anyway so im pretty happy and this fix should last just as long as any xclamp fix.
luckily for you it worked. rather a success story with a butan torch than a disaster story with a butan torch i would say..... hope it holds (the fix off course).

i am in the same boat as you with 2 xboxes, so perhaps i will kill one myself.... i will use a heatgun though!

if so, i will burn the living daylight out of it and post some pictures ;-)

luckily for you it worked. rather a success story with a butan torch than a disaster story with a butan torch i would say..... hope it holds (the fix off course).

i am in the same boat as you with 2 xboxes, so perhaps i will kill one myself.... i will use a heatgun though!

if so, i will burn the living daylight out of it and post some pictures ;-)

I think I speak for everyone when I say that we would all appreciate a video of your "xbox 360 microwave fix." 5 minutes on high should do the trick.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.