AfterDawn Forums

USB HDD on JTAGged 360

This discussion thread has 9 messages.

From what I've gathered, you should be able to run ISOs from a FAT32 HDD, provided you have the game disc in the tray or have NXE2GOD on your JTAG 360. If that's accurate, my situation/question is this:

I have a 1TB Seagate external USB 2.0 HDD. It's got 4 partitions on it: Wii (shows as unformatted), NTFS, NTFS then FAT32. The FAT32 one isn't showing up when plugged into my JTAG 360. Does it need to be the sole partition on the HDD or at least the 1st partition or should it not matter. I can't move the Wii partition since the Wii requires it be the first partition on the disc - I'm guessing that's the problem here, too but want to confirm before I go dicking around with things.

Also, is there anything else you need to have on the 360 in order to read external USB HDD other than the standard JTAGging of it? I'f not flashed my drive or anything else but don't figure to need that if I can just run installed ISOs with NXE2GOD.

TIA.

I realized I was a geek when I drew a Tardis in 4th grade art class.
▼▼ This topic has 8 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Originally posted by rushpage:
From what I've gathered, you should be able to run ISOs from a FAT32 HDD, provided you have the game disc in the tray or have NXE2GOD on your JTAG 360. If that's accurate, my situation/question is this:

I have a 1TB Seagate external USB 2.0 HDD. It's got 4 partitions on it: Wii (shows as unformatted), NTFS, NTFS then FAT32. The FAT32 one isn't showing up when plugged into my JTAG 360. Does it need to be the sole partition on the HDD or at least the 1st partition or should it not matter. I can't move the Wii partition since the Wii requires it be the first partition on the disc - I'm guessing that's the problem here, too but want to confirm before I go dicking around with things.

Also, is there anything else you need to have on the 360 in order to read external USB HDD other than the standard JTAGging of it? I'f not flashed my drive or anything else but don't figure to need that if I can just run installed ISOs with NXE2GOD.

TIA.
EDIT: Sorry, ISO2GOD looks like what I meant. :)

Question still stands, however.

I have a similar situation.

I have my drive (also 1TB, but verbatim brand) divided into a FAT32 partition, another FAT32 partition, unpartitioned space saved for later use, and an NTFS partition. The 360 only sees the first FAT32 partition, which kinda sucks because I also was keeping my Wii stuff on that partition.

Stuff runs fine off the first FAT32 partition, though, so I guess Wii and 360 will just need to learn to share, and I'll have to expand that partition to make more room.

Quote:
From what I've gathered, you should be able to run ISOs from a FAT32 HDD, provided you have the game disc in the tray or have NXE2GOD on your JTAG 360. If that's accurate
Not quite. You don't need the disc in the tray, but you need to have some sort of program like XexMenu installed to run games off USB. Also, you need to use Xbox Image Browser to extract the ISO and then you stick them in the USB drive in games\[name of game]\ directory. Or you can have XexMenu extract the files directly from the disc.

Quote:
Sorry, ISO2GOD looks like what I meant. :)
That's for playing off an actual 360 drive, not a USB drive.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Feb 2010 @ 18:59
Originally posted by tbb033:
I have a similar situation.

I have my drive (also 1TB, but verbatim brand) divided into a FAT32 partition, another FAT32 partition, unpartitioned space saved for later use, and an NTFS partition. The 360 only sees the first FAT32 partition, which kinda sucks because I also was keeping my Wii stuff on that partition.

Stuff runs fine off the first FAT32 partition, though, so I guess Wii and 360 will just need to learn to share, and I'll have to expand that partition to make more room.

Quote:
From what I've gathered, you should be able to run ISOs from a FAT32 HDD, provided you have the game disc in the tray or have NXE2GOD on your JTAG 360. If that's accurate
Not quite. You don't need the disc in the tray, but you need to have some sort of program like XexMenu installed to run games off USB. Also, you need to use Xbox Image Browser to extract the ISO and then you stick them in the USB drive in games\[name of game]\ directory. Or you can have XexMenu extract the files directly from the disc.

Quote:
Sorry, ISO2GOD looks like what I meant. :)
That's for playing off an actual 360 drive, not a USB drive.
Got this all figured out now.

ISOs as themselves can't be played on the 360, unlike the Wii. To use ISOs you have, you have to get XBox File Browser and extract said files to your USB HDD (not sure about regular 360 HDD as I don't put them there). Then, you can use QuickBoot 2.0 to make shortcuts to them so you may launch them from XBE.

Fat32 works fine for that process since none of the files are above 4GB themselves.

Not sure how you're getting both the 360 and Wii to use the same partition as the Wii partition has special formatting to the Wii can recognize it.

The 360 can read ANY partition on a USB HDD, provided it's FAT32 or MAC formatted - doesn't have to be the 1st partition on the disc. The Wii requires it to be the 1st partition, tho.

And not to get off-topic, but that is not necessarily true about the Wii. For myself, I use a WODE. And the WODE can recognize any partition format. It does not need any special format.
Originally posted by bhetrick:
And not to get off-topic, but that is not necessarily true about the Wii. For myself, I use a WODE. And the WODE can recognize any partition format. It does not need any special format.
Ah, okay. I use another proggie for transferring ISOs - don't recall the name of it. But it formats it and shows up under Windows as UNFORMATTED. Thx.

ISOs as themselves can't be played on the 360, unlike the Wii. To use ISOs you have, you have to get XBox File Browser and extract said files to your USB HDD (not sure about regular 360 HDD as I don't put them there). Then, you can use QuickBoot 2.0 to make shortcuts to them so you may launch them from XBE.
Yes, though the QuickBoot step is optional. I just run them from XeXMenu.

Quote:
Not sure how you're getting both the 360 and Wii to use the same partition as the Wii partition has special formatting to the Wii can recognize it.
This hasn't been the case for a while, even without a hardware device like WODE. Configurable USB Loader now supports loading from FAT32 partitions without problem. You do have to convert the ISO's into .wbfs files, but that's no harder than before when you had to transfer them to a wbfs partition.

Quote:
The 360 can read ANY partition on a USB HDD, provided it's FAT32 or MAC formatted - doesn't have to be the 1st partition on the disc.
Why won't my other partitions show up then? It's quite frustrating, only the first one shows up.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 15 Feb 2010 @ 16:57
I have a question. I downloaded bioshock 2 as an iso from a torrent site how do I run this games from my hdd? I've noticed when i extract the iso its missing the default.xex file to run the game. How do I get this to work. My understanding is that its just a game rip but it doesnt seem so. any answers????
Originally posted by tbb033:

Yes, though the QuickBoot step is optional. I just run them from XeXMenu.

Quote:
This hasn't been the case for a while, even without a hardware device like WODE. Configurable USB Loader now supports loading from FAT32 partitions without problem. You do have to convert the ISO's into .wbfs files, but that's no harder than before when you had to transfer them to a wbfs partition.

Quote:
The 360 can read ANY partition on a USB HDD, provided it's FAT32 or MAC formatted - doesn't have to be the 1st partition on the disc.
Why won't my other partitions show up then? It's quite frustrating, only the first one shows up.
True, you can run from XeXMenu without Quickboot. Just like it that way.

I use WBFS, so that's why it doesn't get recognized in Windows. Not sure about the other way as this is just how I've done it from the start. I would imagine that FAT32 with both Wii and 360 files would be fine.

Have heard that SOME USB drives won't show up with the 360 - that may be it.

Have you tried another USB HDD or at least that one you are using with no partitions - just all FAT32?

FWIW, my USB HDD has its own power supply.

This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.