AfterDawn Forums

PS3 convert included HDD to external?

This discussion thread has 5 messages.

Hey I'm planning on buying a new PS3 and jailbreaking it to put games on the HDD. I also was planning to buy a 1TB 2.5'' 7200rpm HDD to upgrade the size on it.

Is it possible to convert the old HDD that came with the PS3 into an external HDD that can also connect to my computer so I can transfer games from my PC to my PS3?

If so, can anyone tell me how or give me a link to an FAQ that tells me how to do it?

And is that 1TB HDD compatible with a PS3?

Thanks, I just want to know before I blow $300.
▼▼ This topic has 4 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
the pk3y or p3k3y is due out in december. developed by the xk3y people. i bought a cable that will extend the connector from inside the ps3 to outside so i could use a larger hard drive. havent tried it yet, but the cable can be found.
Originally posted by dakii:
the pk3y or p3k3y is due out in december. developed by the xk3y people. i bought a cable that will extend the connector from inside the ps3 to outside so i could use a larger hard drive. havent tried it yet, but the cable can be found.
I'm not entirely sure what that is to be honest. All I could find is that its related to the xbox 360.
why not use drive enclosure? or a docking station?

http://www.newegg.com/External-Enclosures/SubCategory/ID-92

plenty to pick from... as for 1tb 2.5" drive check if its not fat or else it wont fit into the bay of the ps3... and by fat i mean the drive is more than 10mm thick... normal drives are around 7-8mm thick...
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 21 Nov 2012 @ 14:47

PC i7 3770K 8Gb Ram Radeon 290X 4TB WD Black 60Gb SDD
Xbox360 Slim RGH Dash 16202
Xbox360 PHAT 14719 BENQ drive
Black PS3 CECH-L04 PS3ITA 4.50 Converted DEX
White PS3 CECH-2506B PS3ITA 4.50 Converted DEX
Black PS3 DECH-J00A DEX FW4.50
Originally posted by Cyprien:
why not use drive enclosure? or a docking station?

http://www.newegg.com/External-Enclosures/SubCategory/ID-92

plenty to pick from... as for 1tb 2.5" drive check if its not fat or else it wont fit into the bay of the ps3... and by fat i mean the drive is more than 10mm thick... normal drives are around 7-8mm thick...
If that enclosure will let me connext that HDD externally to my PS3 and laptop (1 at a time of course) then that sounds like just what I need. Thanks!
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.