AfterDawn Forums

Testing PS3 LAN Bandwidth?

This discussion thread has 2 messages.

Just started experimenting with PS3MediaServer, Tversity and Netflix. Right away, as expected I could not stream 1080P over my 54g network. Signal strength is 52%. So I installed powerline Ethernet. I can now stream 720p reliably, and 1080p is almost-reliable. Depending on source, it can get jerky. I couldn't stream a Netflix HD movie with 54g at 52%, now I can with powerline. I still think I'm going to need more horsepower though such as Wireless-N.

I want to find out exactly how much faster my powerline is than my 54g. You can go to speedtest.net but that is only testing the bandwidth between the PS3 and a host on the Internet so it is limited by Internet connection speed (and results can be all over the map - with same host, one test got 10mbit/s and the same test 3 min later got 20mbit/s!)

I could do a file copy between a notebook connected to the powerline and another PC and then the same copy using 54g but that's just going to give me a general indication. Seems there must be some utility to run on Windows that tests the bandwidth to a computer on the network?
▼▼ This topic has 1 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
You could setup a HTTP or FTP server on a laptop, then use the ps3 browser to download a big file from the server...most good server softwares will tell you the speed of this transfer.

This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.