AfterDawn Forums

transfering PS3 games from pc to external hdd

This discussion thread has 18 messages.

whats the best ftp client and how to set it up?
▼▼ This topic has 17 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
The best one is black box. To set it up your going to need to connect your ps3 to your router, either wirelessly or wired. Run black box, it will give you an ip address like 192.168.2.5, after that open up a ftp client on your pc or mac like filezilla. Enter the ip adress into filezilla, then enter a username and password like user ps3 password ps3. You can put whatever you want, then just hit connect and bam!
Originally posted by Darknytes:
The best one is black box. To set it up your going to need to connect your ps3 to your router, either wirelessly or wired. Run black box, it will give you an ip address like 192.168.2.5, after that open up a ftp client on your pc or mac like filezilla. Enter the ip adress into filezilla, then enter a username and password like user ps3 password ps3. You can put whatever you want, then just hit connect and bam!
black b0x and filezilla doesn't work for me; using the latest version (of both). i needed cuteftp (30 day trial version download).

it came to my attention that many BM have build in ftp capability (multiman f.i.) that should work with filezilla

but; can't you just copy over the data via your pc.
the title states "transfering PS3 games from pc to external hdd" this assumes that you have the games backed up on your pc. an external hdd must be fat32... so what is the problem of just copying the games over from your pc (where the games are), with your pc to your external hdd (which must be fat32 hdd to be recognized by the ps3) via your pc....?
Originally posted by dennisv9:
black b0x and filezilla doesn't work for me; using the latest version (of both). i needed cuteftp (30 day trial version download).

it came to my attention that many BM have build in ftp capability (multiman f.i.) that should work with filezilla

the title states "transfering PS3 games from pc to external hdd" this assumes that you have the games backed up on your pc. an external hdd must be fat32... so what is the problem of just copying the games over from your pc (where the games are), with your pc to your external hdd (which must be fat32 hdd to be recognized by the ps3) via your pc....?
The problem is that you can't copy a file bigger than 4gb over to your fat32 external, since fat32 can't handle files bigger than 4gb. The game however, can be over 4gb, but each individual file can't be over 4gb. The only to copy games that have files bigger than 4gb would be to split them and then join them or ftp them.

The problem is that you can't copy a file bigger than 4gb over to your fat32 external, since fat32 can't handle files bigger than 4gb. The game however, can be over 4gb, but each individual file can't be over 4gb. The only to copy games that have files bigger than 4gb would be to split them and then join them or ftp them.
that all might be the case - and is correct - but the title says external hdd. so it must be fat32 format....
i know you cant just transfer from pc straight to external just trying to figure out this ftp. I Googled and got 2 different ways of setting it up just want to make sure I do it right
Originally posted by tgunnz22:
i know you cant just transfer from pc straight to external just trying to figure out this ftp. I Googled and got 2 different ways of setting it up just want to make sure I do it right
that is the point; you CAN copy over files directly from your pc to your external hdd. simply because any external hdd attached to your ps3 MUST be fat32 format. hence the reply of the previous poster that for files >4gig you run into problems, because fat32 cannot handle files over 4 gig (darknytes). so the few games that have files that are greater that 4 gig, those ones need to be transferred to the internal hdd. if you want to access the INTERNAL hdd, you just ftp into that.

so; internal hdd ==> use ftp
external fat32 formatted hdd; just copy over via your pc and hdd directly connected to your pc. no need to ftp (you can do it; but it takes a longer time).

but if i see your thread title 'transfering PS3 games from pc to external hdd'==> pc to external hdd.... hence my reply, just copy over. only for games with files > 4 gig you need to copy that to the internal hdd; use ftp for that
ok thanks people give different answers can get you in circles, so just plug my external in and drag the game file over like you would a movie or music
ok thanks people give different answers can get you in circles, so just plug my external in and drag the game file over like you would a movie or music
in short; YES

just run your BM; i use multiman (i have no choice, but multiman is great). in the text file with multiman you see the different paths that it looks for for games. as long as the games that you copy over to your external hdd are in the right folder, you should be fine.

e.g. multiman:
# Option: Game Backup Folders
hdd_dir=/dev_hdd0/GAMES
usb_dir=GAMES

just look into the config.ini of your BM where it looks for the games (e.g. folder GAME or GAMES or game or games or gamez etc. etc. and create such folder on your external drive and copy the games over.
should be something like
'dev_hdd0/game/BLES80608' ==> in folder bles80608 are all the game files

most BM now look in more locations, but the folder 'games' is mostly a good guess for a folder that is recognized - and used - by most BM
ok my game folder is BLUS30410 is that ok
I use smart ftp because filezilla did not work for me. Sign in with no username or password and use anonymous.
just try it; make a folder 'games' on your hdd; and copy over the folder blus30410 into the folder games. when you are done, put the external hdd on your ps3. boot up your BM and see if it loads. it doesn't take that long.

OR

look into the config.ini and txt file of your installed BM. it should make a remark about the paths that are recognized. for the latest multiman it is the folder games..... (on any drive).
Originally posted by goyankees:
I use smart ftp because filezilla did not work for me. Sign in with no username or password and use anonymous.
filezilla is freeware; great program. that is why i use it as my ftp client. cuteftp, smartftp etc. etc. are not freeware. don't feel the need to pay for a license if the freeware version - filezilla - is working great (except off course for the ps3....).
just try it; make a folder 'games' on your hdd; and copy over the folder blus30410 into the folder games. when you are done, put the external hdd on your ps3. boot up your BM and see if it loads. it doesn't take that long.

OR

look into the config.ini and txt file of your installed BM. it should make a remark about the paths that are recognized. for the latest multiman it is the folder games..... (on any drive).
ok Im going to give it a shot after dinner thanks again for your help more thing what would you recommend using to format my external
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Feb 2011 @ 16:43
Originally posted by goyankees:
filezilla is freeware; great program. that is why i use it as my ftp client. cuteftp, smartftp etc. etc. are not freeware. don't feel the need to pay for a license if the freeware version - filezilla - is working great (except off course for the ps3....).
Yea, i ended up paying because it works fine for me. Filezilla was the first i tried to no avail. But it seems to work for everyone else! hahahah

OR

ok Im going to give it a shot after dinner thanks again for your help more thing what would you recommend using to format my external
you are definitely in another timezone then i am..... (nighty night time here). if you need to ftp into your ps3; either get black b0x and install in on your ps3 (or use the build in ftp client with your BM). then just run it. it i'll pop up and show you the ip addres (e.g. 192.68.124.5 is mine ps3 ip's). then just run your ftp client from your pc (use cuteftp or smartftp) and connect. just enter the above ip adress black b0x shows in the connection field and leave username/pw empty (or login anonymous). leave the port also empty (standard is 21; empty is mostly the standard port). then transfer the files over into the correct folder. you should have a folder 'games' on your internal hdd as well (multiman created such folder for me when i installed it).
external hdd is easier; just drag and drop or copy.... good luck, have fun playing marvel versus capcom...
ok got this message the game data is corrupted please quit the game and delete the game data file..... whats that mean? Never mind I got it to work
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Feb 2011 @ 19:15
ok got this message the game data is corrupted please quit the game and delete the game data file..... whats that mean? Never mind I got it to work
Same trouble here. Have you found a solution?
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.