AfterDawn Forums

Advantages to using FAT32 instead of WBFS on HDD for Wii?

This discussion thread has 7 messages.

Hi,

If we do not consider the possibility of using the HDD for other things than Wii use, is there any reason for it to be FAT32?

It seems that when using WBFS i can easily keep the game images small as WBFS manager takes care of that, but it's not as evident how I should make the iso files smaller in FAT32. All my attempts have ended with 4GB isos even if the WBFS gets some games down to 0,5-1GB.
▼▼ This topic has 6 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Originally posted by gambleboy:
Hi,

If we do not consider the possibility of using the HDD for other things than Wii use, is there any reason for it to be FAT32?

It seems that when using WBFS i can easily keep the game images small as WBFS manager takes care of that, but it's not as evident how I should make the iso files smaller in FAT32. All my attempts have ended with 4GB isos even if the WBFS gets some games down to 0,5-1GB.
You pretty much answered your own question. People just fat32 so they can plug in to a PC and not have to load up WBFS manager. If that file system is working better for you then why change to fat32?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Mar 2010 @ 11:09
I was wondering if FAT32 was quicker, or if there were any other things than ISO images you could put on the HDD that the Wii could read? Putting WADs onto the HDD, can they be read?
Make sure when you transfer the games to the FAT32 partition your converting them to WBFS files. Another + for using FAT32 is so you can use and load Wii applications that use FAT32 file system. Most homebrew requires FAT32 file system.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Mar 2010 @ 12:06

i have a multiple partition drive with FAT32/NTFS/WBFS, and have no problems. the FAT32 is a small 2gig partition so wads and configurable usb loader can be loaded without a SD card. the NTFS houses all of the bootmii NANDS of the wii's i have done.

i've heard WBFS has a better game compatability over FAT32 since it was specifically designed to be read by the wii. no problems with SSBB or NSMBwii from the start.

ps2: v7 scph-39001 - independence exploit - hdloader 0.8c - maxtor 300gb hdd
(+[__]%) psp slim ta-085v1: 6.60 PRO B10
wii (powered by bootmii/priiloader): 4.1u - d2x v10beta53-alt (base 56) - configurable usb loader v70r51/devolution r188 - wd scorpio black 7200rpm 320gig w/ ams venus ds2 enclosure

got a whole lot more to list . . .
All the games work perfectly fine using FAT32 (even SSBB/NSMB).

Always nice to have FAT32 for applications like Emulators or video streaming.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 16 Mar 2010 @ 16:14

Originally posted by cee43ja1:

i've heard WBFS has a better game compatability over FAT32 since it was specifically designed to be read by the wii. no problems with SSBB or NSMBwii from the start.
I also suspect this, as when I tried out loading games from USB at first with a 16 GB USB memory stick, only a few games worked when on FAT32, but everything worked on WBFS. But I wasn't sure if this was because of the filesystems or if the USB stick was not 100% compatible.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.