AfterDawn Forums

How can I unmod my Wii?

This discussion thread has 18 messages.

I went through the 4.0 new and improved softmod without any problems, but now I'm giving my Wii to my little cousin and I want to restore it to original 4.0 firmware. How do I go about doing this?

Any help is appreciated!

:O
▼▼ This topic has 17 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
reformat the wiis system memory.
Originally posted by drakoniss:
reformat the wiis system memory.
doing this may semi brick your system!!! it did with mine
So then, what are my other options...

Originally posted by Dante369:
So then, what are my other options...
damned if i know haha

ive been tryin to figure it out myself haha
just wondering my, i have modded psp's, xbox's,ps2's and ps1's. the wii would be my first attempt..
lets say i try to softmod a wii,is there a pandora for the wii or r.u. just screwed..
second of all what if u get the homebrew channel installed and nothing works and u just wasnt to go back to O.G dash, is there a way.
Go make your own thread, dude.

Can anyone help my predicament?

did you use bootmii to backup your nand before you installed the softmod?? If so you can use bootmii to restore your system.

is there really any need to be rude?? he is just after help in the same way u are!!

I agree, its annoying when people hijack a thread then the original question never gets answered. That poster needs to make a new thread as its a different question!

Now regarding your question, i dont think there is any real way 100% that will rid of any system modifications that you have made and i would certainly not try formatting the wii's system memory or it will brick it.

Cant you just leave the wii as it is (softmodded) and give it to him like that? maybe he would like to eventually play backups too? :)
This is pretty ridiculous that they don't have a decent way to unmod your console. Thank you for the serious reply though.

This is pretty ridiculous that they don't have a decent way to unmod your console. Thank you for the serious reply though.
Maybe this is because that once people have modded it to play backups most people want to leave it that way so they can keep playing them and they dont want to undo any changes for that reason, im guessing your in the minority of people who wants to unmod their wii and therefore its just not worth the hackers etc to make this possible?...just a thought :)
Also i should have added that if your worried about the person your giving the wii to might damage the wii by messing with the software you have installed such as the homebrew channel etc then why dont you just delete it from the channel? settings?
Just pull out the SD card? Voila, blank Homebrew Channel and no problems.
Originally posted by deluxe247:
Just pull out the SD card? Voila, blank Homebrew Channel and no problems.
How do you know all the apps he has installed etc are on his SD card?
I think that after you get a bit of experience, how to undo things comes pretty naturally.

You will basically be removing everything that you installed. That being said certain things can't just be deleted. This is where the experience from reading and doing comes in.

Things like DVDx, you just use the same installer to uninstall it.

For cIOS (those IOSes in the 200 range) the easiest thing to do is use AnyTitle Deleter to remove them. It won't hurt.

Bootmii can be uninstalled with the hackmii installer.

And then there is the category of things that you can't just delete because the way they were installed, they were essentially merged with critical system files.

A patched IOS60 and Preloader instantly comes to mind.
These things you don't delete but you overwrite them with with their original versions.

Another method would be to downgrade to an earlier firmware (Anyregion changer) and update through Nintendo.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 10 Jul 2009 @ 16:05
Originally posted by AMatthews:

Another method would be to downgrade to an earlier firmware (Anyregion changer) and update through Nintendo.
i have firmware version 3.1 with HBC, gammaloader 3 and the wad to play DVD's.

if i updated via nintendo to latest firmware would my wii be back to stock condition?

thanks for your help
HI op,

I have formatted my wii before - no problems. do at own risk :)

Similar question - I have a soft-mod 4.1 and want to update to 4.2 - for S-mario-bros, so will I format or just update ??
If I just update to 4.2, can I just go thru the new 4.2 guide as normal ? or better to uninstall HBC etc (if I can) ?

modded a virgin 4.2 wii last week and the newer USB loader is better.
thx

K
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.