AfterDawn Forums

Okay to update modded wii?

This discussion thread has 20 messages.

#1
Just got a modded wii off Craigslist that is modded with wiikey. The wii Is on version 2.2U and I don't know what kind of wiikey it is. Most of the burned games that came with it work, except for Mario galaxy which requires a system update in order for it to work. I've heard that updating modded wiis can brick it so I'm scared to accept the update...help? Also I'm new to these forums so sorry in advance if someone has already asked this question.


Thanks
▼▼ This topic has 19 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
#2
Do not update using the disc.

Google Modmii
Run it on your pc - this will add a softmod to allow you to install the update
as you have a wiikey I would leave your system menu as 2.2 (option in modmii)
You may still need to update wiikey to get mario galaxy to run.

The new way is softmod and running the games from a hard drive, no discs to scratch.

For All Flashcart Firmware Updates http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/
Sakura for the M3Real - Amazing Firmware
http://handheldsources.net
#3
Originally posted by kittymat:
Do not update using the disc.

Google Modmii
Run it on your pc - this will add a softmod to allow you to install the update
as you have a wiikey I would leave your system menu as 2.2 (option in modmii)
You may still need to update wiikey to get mario galaxy to run.

The new way is softmod and running the games from a hard drive, no discs to scratch.
Does it work for a Mac?
#4
And modmii will allow me to play newer games without updating to a newer firmware? (since I'm on 2.2) sorry im new to this stuff
#5
Games for the Wii do not run on the system menu (2.2, 4.1, 4.3 etc) they run on individual ios's, modmii downloads and tells you how to install the ios's and updated channels.

Modmii only runs on a PC.

If you update the system menu your mod chip may not work, even with the update of the ios's it may still not run newer games as they are designed to prevent the chip getting past the game protection. If so look at a full softmod with a Hard Dtrive.

For All Flashcart Firmware Updates http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/
Sakura for the M3Real - Amazing Firmware
http://handheldsources.net
#6
Now if you want to try something else.

there is boot star but it is designed for changing the consoles region to another consoles region not a good idea unless you know what to do with it so dont download this
#7
Originally posted by megadunderhead:
Now if you want to try something else.

there is boot star but it is designed for changing the consoles region to another consoles region not a good idea unless you know what to do with it so dont download this
so pointless, do as kittymatt says and do a fresh softmod
#8
Originally posted by tongs007:
Originally posted by megadunderhead:
Now if you want to try something else.

there is boot star but it is designed for changing the consoles region to another consoles region not a good idea unless you know what to do with it so dont download this
so pointless, do as kittymatt says and do a fresh softmod
Yeh I know right...why would this guy even suggest that when he can easily brick his wii with it. Some people I just don't ever get what goes up there > <
As stated before use moddmii and MOST IMPORTANT install bootmii2 and Priiloader
(to prevent your wii from being bricked, firmware being updated automatically and going back to working order if by some chance you brick your wii).
Happy softmodding :)
#9
Originally posted by Vato:
Originally posted by tongs007:
Originally posted by megadunderhead:
Now if you want to try something else.

there is boot star but it is designed for changing the consoles region to another consoles region not a good idea unless you know what to do with it so dont download this
so pointless, do as kittymatt says and do a fresh softmod
Yeh I know right...why would this guy even suggest that when he can easily brick his wii with it. Some people I just dont ever get what goes up there > <
As stated before use moddmii and MOST IMPORTANT install bootmii2 and Priiloader
(to prevent your wii from being bricked, firmware being updated automatically and going back to working order if by some chance you brick your wii).
Happy softmodding :)
how do you install bootmii2 and priiloader?
#10
It shud be on the moddmii step by steps. Just follow the steps and it will show you and ask you if you want to install them.
#11
So when using modmii, I should keep it at 2.2 and not update to a higher firmware right
#12
Originally posted by lb13589:
So when using modmii, I should keep it at 2.2 and not update to a higher firmware right
treat it as a virgin wii
#13
the reason i warned him for is boot star does work but it causes your console to be in the region for another country and it changes all the files and cannot be undone however if you tell it to patch your wii's software update and install multi region support you can use the u.s wii with differrent region disks but you need to know what you are doing and it doesn't brick wii's when it malfunctions it just won't read disks and to fix it you just re run the second section of the installer again and it restores the cd drive driver to its original version with multi region i converted a u.s wii into a multi verse wii i can play games from japan china the u.k and korea without mod chip or wiikey
#14
Originally posted by megadunderhead:
the reason i warned him for is boot star does work but it causes your console to be in the region for another country and it changes all the files and cannot be undone however if you tell it to patch your wii's software update and install multi region support you can use the u.s wii with differrent region disks but you need to know what you are doing and it doesn't brick wii's when it malfunctions it just won't read disks and to fix it you just re run the second section of the installer again and it restores the cd drive driver to its original version with multi region i converted a u.s wii into a multi verse wii i can play games from japan china the u.k and korea without mod chip or wiikey
boot star is pointless and more of a risk than softmodding with moddmii which gives you step by step on how to do it and it is 100 percent safe to do (instead of boot star).
It is easy and simple to use that is why other people including me are telling him to use it. Why would tell him to use a program which will make it difficult for him .....?
All he wants to do is be able to play games from other countries on his Wii not change the region of his wii which can than more likely BRICK HIS WII.
#15
haha all i want is to be able to play new games as well as my old backup games
#16
Originally posted by lb13589:
haha all i want is to be able to play new games as well as my old backup games
so stop being a noob and use moddmii then
LMAO!!!
#17
Lol I don't have a access to a PC until mid november
#18
Um, my daughters Wii has a weKey2 in it and is on 4.2u and plays almost all discs fine. The reason I say almost is that scrubbed games tend to end up as coasters.
#19
doesn't give me an option to stay on 2.2. just says i should update to 4.1. so should i do that?
#20
Originally posted by lb13589:
doesn't give me an option to stay on 2.2. just says i should update to 4.1. so should i do that?
update to 4.1 why would you'd want to stay at 2.2 is beyond me.
4.1 is the best firmware your softmodded Wii can be at. :)
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.