1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Can anyone tell me how to set the default DVD Player Software in Vista. I swear the idiots that designed the control interface were total morons. There doesn't seem to be a Tools/Folder Options/File Types in "My computer" in Vista. Oh right! They have a better, more convoluted way to do it! LOL!!

I want to use Power DVD 7 on it, and I have the patch that is supposed to allow it to work in Vista, but Cyberlink didn't give any instructions for the patch's use. I've already blown up one Vista installation by installing Power DVD 7 and trying to use it, and I don't want to do it again. Last time it cost me over 45 bucks for a recovery disk, and I don't want to go through that again!

Thanks in advance,
    Russ

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Russ, type in autoplay and hit enter in the search bar located in the start menu. Tell it what program you want to "autoplay" when a dvd is inserted. I tell it to do nothing myself...depends on my mood, and what i'm doing at the time.

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Hope you got that working ok russ :)

GM, do you know how I can get the LH-20A1S to burn a 4X Verb +R DL, at more than 4X? I wanna burn them at 6, not 4. Or perhaps even 8. Verbatims are usually good enough to do this. I've done it before on an NEC ND-3550A. I've encountered a backup that REALLY doesn't wanna be compressed LOL!

Ah hah! Sorry GM. I found them in the following link. Sorry if this is against forum rules...
    Lite-on F/w's for overspeed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  4. greensman

greensman Regular member

Just chatted with RUss.. said he burned his first one.. expect a colorful post soon. ROFL. ;)

You didn't break any rules that I know of... CDF is welcome around here I believe and that's the only way to get CK's f/w... the exact page I was gonna send ye to. ;) Have a good one and have some fun. :)

Off to Gander Mountain. :)

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

No problem with the links, we only complain about external links if someone's doing it to either pimp their own site or scam us for advertising

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ahhh, very good. Cd freaks are friends then :D I should have guessed LOL!

Looks like the firmware I downloaded had zero effect on allowing my drive to burn faster. Which is strange too. I'm 99% certain, that I flashed the appropriate firmware...

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's a partial scan of the disc. It froze up at the layer break...The iHAP usually breaks this threshold, but it's errors are usually higher too :p
    [​IMG]

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Oman7 ... the LH-20A1X drives will NOT break the layer reading IIRC. ;) NOW your iHAS/iHAP drive should do it with NO issues if you use the "special" NERO CD/DVD Speed from CK. ;)

btw that scan looked pretty nice. :)

DID the drive make it to 6x or 8x?? I thought it should. :)

9. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

No. The drive only hit 4X. I'll check it out tomorrow. Going over to my brothers. I have the special Cd speed ;)

10. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

OK, I've had enough beverages with Swedish Vodka tonight to take a shot at answering this question. (Ya, sure, you betcha!)

If the mid is mkm 001 you might be able to get a 8x burn with the LH-20A1S drive but don't hold your breath. You will have to work up to that speed in order to get a decent burn. Getting consistant decent burns at that speed is another question entirely.

If the mid is mkm 003 good luck with them. You will probably NOT get a consistantly decent burn(or even consistantly average burn), especially the one with mids MIT and MII. My experience with those is that they are made with the IS(Inverse Stack)method and the burner's firmware doesn't address the IS discs. To my best knowledge the LH-20A1 drives(any of them) were not optimized for the IS production method for the DLs.

The following Falcon discs are also IS production(but burned with Optiarc 7200S drives):
    8x Falcons DL burned @ 8x(both):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  11. greensman

greensman Regular member

Oman... I just checked my LH-20A1S (9L09) with some MKM 001 DVD+R DL discs and it seems the fastest speed they will record is 4X. They are MIS 2.4X discs so they are Over-speeding at 4X.

What is the MID on your discs??

[​IMG]

12. greensman

greensman Regular member

Seemed like a pretty good answer to me. :) Maybe the Vodka content is about right. :)

13. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

This is the first burn with the new AD-7240s with a Ritec +R 16x F16 burned at 12x

[​IMG]

This is the second burn, same drive at 12x with a -R 16x Verb

[​IMG]

I know nothing about how these type of drives score, so I really don't know what to make of these scans. One things for sure, I won't be buying anymore Ritec +R 16x F-16s, that's for sure!

Russ

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Someone said that once before. :p For some reason that's the same thing I get Russ.... inconsistency. ;( I only have a few left and they are strictly give-a-ways. :D

btw the AD drives (NEC/Optiarc/Sony) "scan" on the same structure as the BENQ's IIRC. :O NOT a bad scanning method but it still shows the "crappiness" of the Ritek discs. LOL

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Yeah the Ritek F16-strictly giveaways. LOL They all play fine also. So wtf! Office Depots where i live are now CMC Mags and not F16s.

@Russ

the 1.03bt fw will booktype for your 7240S. Downloaded from here yesterday and installed-note Norton IS called the site unsafe but I had no problem.

http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7240S/

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

GM. These are the discs. You're correct. 4X would be considered overspeeding. But on my package(Much like this picture) it says 6X capable. So there must be a drive out there capable of it. I bet the NEC ND-3550A was capable. That sucker burned verbs really good :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  17. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

garmoon,
    Which one do I download? The RCP1 or the Auto. The first one on the left is the original Optiarc FW 1.03.

Best Regards,
    Russ

18. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Russ

go here: http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/en/Optiarc-AD-7240S/

scroll down to: liggy's AD-7240SBitsetting firmware1.03

click on the the second blue option rpc1 and a window opens that at the bottom says start downloading "103bt rpc1.zip. click on that and save option in a folder you unzip to- you name choice.

Then go back to original page and look left side bottom for "links" and click on binflash- atool to flash with and download it (win32 gui v1.49b) and put it in the same folder that you just created-

Q: How do I flash my NEC drive?
    A: Official NEC firmwares are supplied with their own flash utility. In this case having downloaded your firmware, all that is required is to run the application and follow a few prompts.
    In the case of a modified firmware you will need a flash application. The current favourite one on CD Freaks is Binflash by Liggy and TDB's Windows and DOS based flashers here.
    In the case of Binflash, make sure you select the correct drive to flash, then click on the flash button, you will now have to select the firmware .BIN file or .EXE file, then click on open. A dialog will appear with some info, click on YES if you wish to continue the flash. Allow the flash to complete then restart your PC.
    In the case of TDB's DOS based flasher, you will require a DOS boot CD or Floppy, which should also contain the TDB DOS flasher and firmware BIN file. Drives housed in external firewire or USB enclosures usually cannot be flashed from DOS. If all else fails you might be able to remove the drive from its enclosure, connect it to an IDE channel on a desktop PC and flash it. This may void your guarantee however. For more info you can check out this thread.

follow the binflash above

19. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's the iHAP422 scan of that dual layer disc. Not too bad for a dying drive, and at 8X. The jitter was the quickest jitter test i've seen in a long time! XP never had slow jitter tests. I noticed when I went to windows 7 that the jitter tests were considerably slower. I don't usually scan with the iHAP. I can only assume that it's either the drive, or the proper cd speed application used for the iHAP ;) Though there are other problems as well. E.G. the application won't show cpu usage on windows 7...
    [​IMG]

20. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

garmoon,
    Thank you very much!

Russ