1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your DISC quality scans here 2

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by cincyrob, Jul 27, 2007.

1. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

wow its been a long time thread is dead.
    i see a MCC 003 up there those things are about extinct along with the reliable MCC004's its a shame verbs have fell so far.

ok question. every optaric drive i have is now official dead. all 5 of them that i have had are toast. but the trusty lite-ons(true lite-ons) are still kicking.
    i havent looke at any drives in a while. is there any good ones out there that are worthy????

2. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Wow Rob. 5 Optiarcs dead? I have at least that many that have seen, um... A lot of discs. I have 2 7200A's. They're the oldest ones. Burning as good(if not better) as day one. If I were in the market right now, I'd be looking very closely at the 7260 drives. I have one. It's my newest least used drive. It's an excellent high speed drive. Never a coaster. It performs as good or better than the drives before it. As long as a drive has an NEC chip, I'm happy. I love NEC's drives. It's not your drive $ony, it's NEC's...

I'm uncertain of the 7280 drives.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118067
    If I were in the market though, 19.99 with free shipping is VERY tempting. But I'm actually in a transition mode. I'm moving further and further away from DVD's, and embracing Blu-Ray :D

Trusty Lite-ons? I lol'd. I guess you got lucky. over half of my lite-ons died. I have a BD IHES108, that's still kicking, but it may ignore read errors. And I have a LH20A1S I use for scanning. I no longer rip with it. My 7200S has proven to be be one of the best readers I've had. I used to have a $ony DRU820 that was a freak of a reader too. It's a toss up which one has been better. The 7200S has seen more discs, so I guess it's the champ.

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

ive had 7200A&S a7220-72240and the last to die was the 7260S.
    all of my lite-ons(true liteons) but 2 are still running in one machine or another.
    of the 2 the only reason it isnt working is because i broke the little plastic clip that the sata cable plugs into. and that was my favorite drive of all time. LH-18A1P and LH-18A1S and then the LH-20A1S love those drives.
    as long as it has the mediatec chip in it im a happy camper...lol
    haven't had a BR Drive yet. still don't see a need in it for myself.
    i do agree with ya my 7200S did see alot of disc it was the second one i ever had and lasted the longest. of any of the 5 different ones.

4. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

You're right Rob, it has been a while :)

Verbatim 6X BD-R(VERBAT-IMe-000) burned at 4X via LG WH10LS30. Imgburn reports a max speed of 10X. Given the scan here, I wouldn't hesitate to burn at 6X. I just may for testing purposes. Better defragment my hard drives first though. 6x and beyond is pretty high speed burning ;)
    As you can see, it smokes the Digistor CMC MAG disc.
    [​IMG]

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

And now one burned at 6X. Not too bad :)
    [​IMG]

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

Did a scan just for funzies.. ;)

CMC.MAG.AM3

Only 3GB I know but grabbed the closest thing to the burner/reader at the time. :D

[​IMG]

7. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Here's another scan of a Verbatim BD-R NON LTH disc. Burned at 4X. I scanned it because there is a noticeable ring in the recording dye. I've seen them on Dvd-R's from time to time. Usually there's a discernible difference in read/burn quality. I'm not seeing much if any difference here. It had me a bit concerned, because I deleted the files directly after the burn. But, should be a good backup ;)
    [​IMG]

8. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Ritek BD-R burned at 2X. I burned the ISO, and then had imgburn compare the ISO data to the burned disc. It passed :) And then I ran a quality scan. It exceeded my expectations. I don't believe I'll go beyond 2X on the remaining discs though. Thankfully only 3 or 4. I'd really like to come back to this disc in say 5 yrs, and see how it does. Given I store my discs very good, the surface should be in near perfect shape. The dye remains to be seen ;)
    [​IMG]

9. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

10. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

11. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

My LG drive has been very good. WH10LS30. My Lite-on iHES108 has been O-K. It's ignored read errors a few times, but when a disc is in reasonable condition, it does a good job. I mainly got the lite-on for scanning purposes. Though I rip with it every now and again. No read errors in quite some time. I believe it needed a good break-in. I've heard the pioneers are good burners. But I've read about quite a few quitting prematurely. The LG's seem to be pretty good. Mine certainly is :p My LG has seen a couple hundred discs. It still acts like new.

12. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yea im looking for a player just so i can rip blu ray and then convert them, not any where interested in burning blu-ray way to costly and the disc are yet to prove reliable down the road.

13. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Verbatims look good(of course). The only questionable media at the moment, is Ritek, and LTH(organic) dyes. I've gotten good buys on Verbs. Not much more than a dual layer verbatim dvd. The prices are dropping... THankfully!

14. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I can go along with Omega I have 2 of the LGs with a third I just ordered from the Egg for $59.00.Using BD rebuilder putting on Blue Ray discks and DVD Tys.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  15. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

so your just ripping the movie from the blue-ray disc and then burning to some nice TY's? thats what im interested in doing once i get my dream machine built...lol

16. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

YOu can convert Blu ray to dual layer dvds and have them look generally indistinguishable from the bluray. Depends on the situation/bitrate. I prefer BD-25 backups. I plan on a projector later. The less artifacting, the better!

17. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

Yes for movie only on rebuilder you can put on dvd 5 or double layer or blue ray discs. I put Public Enemy and American Gangster Movie only on my beloved Tys.I took the movie The help and did a full disc backup on a Verb +r DVD5 just to compare unless your viewing on a 55" screen the difference was virtually none. Chris

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  18. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

19. theonejrs

theonejrs Senior member

Rob,

It means you still have to own or buy BluRay software to play or burn BD Disks!

Best,
    Russ

20. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

I use both Nero [bought] and Power DVD 9[free] to watch on the computer.Also yes this is the burner.I should add both burners despite being oem came with cables and Power dvd software.Chris