1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does a 300mb video file turn into a 2.5gb file in Nero Vision, this makes 0 Sense...someone please help me??

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by 2low4snow, Apr 18, 2011.

1. 2low4snow

2low4snow Member

I am following this tutorial

in order to try and make a DVD of a recorded mini series called "The Kennedy's" for some friends of mine, except when I try and add the first two episodes that are a total size of 700mb the size marker goes way off the chart. I added a single episode that is 355mb and it sized up to over 2.5gb's...can someone please explain this to me as I am going to attach a photo of the exact problem.

I am fairly computer savy but this makes zero sense to me. As a test that there was nothing wrong with the files I was using I tried the movie "convictions" which happens to be 1.99gb in total size and that did the exact same thing when a DVD is 4.7gb's.

Am I missing something here, this program is supposed to let you create a DVD from AVI files and transcode them into DVD Video so that it can be played on pretty much any DVD player that doesn't read DiVx files.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

[​IMG]

2. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i personally use dvd flick for avi-dvd.i dont know why but the output is always bigger than the input (700mb=4gb).have a look through the settings if there an option to set the maximum output size.

3. 2low4snow

2low4snow Member

I also have X to DVD which I have used in the past, but Nero seems to have more options for creating a custom menu and it makes no sense why this is happening as I should be able to fit numerous episodes on a single DVD.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Only thing that would explain it is your now uncompressing,which means you then need to run nero recode to shrink the video folders to fit them on one dvd.Not sure if there will be issues when recompressing what essentialy was an already compressed file,chances are there'll be even more degradation,might pay to see if they can hook the comp up to the tv instead & just run the the avi's,yeah well anyway this is what was in the tut section

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/multiple_dvd_to_dvdr_dvd_shrink.cfm

edit: dvd shrink is now nero recode,doesn't have to be either of these two,dvdfab could do it also

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  5. elodude2001

elodude2001 Member

Creating a DVD that plays in almost all players usually requires an 'MPEG-2' file format which are alot larger in size than avi, flv, wmv etc. If I've 'bought' a video online I usually download it in FLV format (flash video) cause it's small and to watch it on ur computer is fine (sometimes a format change is needed as not all media players play FLV)
    I've just converted a 'flv-112Mb-file' to mpeg and it's tripled in size to 320Mb and thaTS b4 I'VE BURNED IT TO A DISC..
    Most films on dvd are on dual layered discs now as they're over 5Gb in size, burning ur own dvd video isn't nuch different.

If the disc you;re creating is to be played on a newer player try to find out what video files it plays. (dvd players make and model is enough info for Googling) then u can use a 'compact' format like avi divx.. And don't forget to configure Nero vision. I've Nero aswell I like showtime to play video's and their photo edit ain't bad with a few other bit's that all i use it for. Dvdfab-8 is my rated DVD maker, it does pretty much everything u could want to too a video or dvd file or disc.
    But at the end of the day it's what u're most comortable with...Oh and if u're over the age of 25ish may I suggest, a cup of Tea is made, piece of cake and a good read of the manual sometime. It's week's b4 i read mine!! Gone are the day's when I could unbox a new bit of kit, have it wired up and ready to go in a Flash....ahhh.. I

6. merefizi

merefizi Member

it is the same thing as mp3 files. 20 mp3 music files are about 80mb, when you made with them an audio CD 700mb may be they will not fit all the 20 songs because of the time they have (audio CD = 80min.) exactly the same happens with your 300mb file on nero, OK ;o)

7. attar

attar Senior member

I don't think the size is out of line for a DVD file inasmuch as mpeg does require more space than the same XviD file.
    It's the running time X bitrate that sets the size.
    A 44 minute video @ 9000Kb/s + the overhead for the audio will come in at 3 GB.
    To lower the size of the file you have to select a lower bitrate (and take a quality hit) or create a half D1 movie (half the resolution) which allows you to select a lower bitrate, but since the resolution is less, you can get away with it (unless you play it on your 60 inch screen).
    I don't know if Nero allows this, but the likes of DVD Flick does.

Last edited: May 26, 2011