1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Burn-in Included Chinese Subtitle When Ripping DVD Problem

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by cjbarth, Dec 29, 2009.

1. cjbarth

cjbarth Member

I have several movies in Chinese that I'm trying to rip. The DVDs have Chinese subtitles included on them. I would like to rip the DVDs with the Chinese subtitles embedded or burned-in to the video and not as a subtitle track. I've searched high and low and can't find a tool that will do this.

AutoGK doesn't show the subtitle tracks.
    VirtualDub (using VobSub) will find the subtitles but not show them in the preview window or burn them in.
    MediaCoder gives the option to burn them in, but it only let's me choose a language of the subtitles that I want and doesn't actually show me the languages that are on the disk. This is a problem because there are two Chinese subtitle tracks (Simplified and Traditional) and I can't choose between them. Furthermore, no matter what settings I choose it doesn't work.
    XMedia Recode found the subtitles but didn't burn them in or add them as a track in the file.
    Handbrake found the subtitles but didn't burn them in or add them as a track in the file.
    MeGUI doesn't have an option to work with subtitles embedded in DVDs.

I've tried extracting the subtitles to work with them, however, since they are Chinese the OCR functions of various programs don't work. I can break the stream apart to get a SUP file, but that appears useless to most programs. Every tutorial I've found mentions SRT files or SUB files, but never a SUP file unless I'm burning to a DVD. Since I'm trying to rip from a DVD those tutorials don't help me.

I'm looking for any suggestions that someone can give me. Once I figure it out I intend on making a tutorial for others to use. However, if there is already a tutorial I don't know of I'd be glad to get the link to that.

Thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

Are you saying that AGK, when you use the IFO of the title as the input file, the 'Subtitle track(s):' pane is empty - thus you cannot select the subs - or is it that the final video output does not show the subs?

3. cjbarth

cjbarth Member

With your suggestion I was able to see the list of subtitles in AutoGK, however, I just tried a compression and the subtitles weren't inlucded. It seems to to use VirtualDubMod for subtitle processing and my efforts with VirtualDub have previously failed. VirtualDub doesn't seem to work with anything but text subtitles.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Try the free Any_Video_Converter http://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/ .
    Load the Video_TS.IFO(you can just drag'n'drop it). Set the compression/codec/bitrate...Select the subtile.
    In my encoding, I did not change the default subtitle encoding, I think I left it to UTF-8. Not sure what the difference would be if I chose Korean(that was the subtitle language).
    [​IMG]

Here's the final output:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you try to go to File-> Open DVD Folder and add the Video_TS folder, it will not load the subtitles. You have to open the Video_TS.IFO file,by dragging and dropping it, or got to File->Add Video Files. From the drop down menu, select All Files(*.*), and now you'll see and can add the IFO.

6. cjbarth

cjbarth Member

I tried that with Unicode set and it didn't work. I'm trying the localized character set now. I'll let you know how it goes.

7. cjbarth

cjbarth Member

Using the Traditional Chinese character set didn't work. I'm trying the UTF-8 encoding right now, but I suspect that it won't work because these subtitles are bitmaps, not encoded text. This appears to be the same problem I've been running in to with every other program I've tried.

8. cjbarth

cjbarth Member

UTF-8 didn't work either. I appreciate your help. Do you have another other ideas of what I can do?

9. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Man, I don't know what subtitles are those, I still haven't found a DVD that would give me troubles...What title is that? You can PM if you don't want to post it here...I have lots of HK/Chinese movies, might have that one too...

10. cjbarth

cjbarth Member

It is called Mankind's Oldest Modern Book in the DVD series The Bible a Book of Fact and Prophecy. If you want I can DVDShrink a short segment to play with.

11. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

If you feel like trying, another program that I use and handles subs is Fair Use Wizard.I do like it a lot, especially when I encode to H.264(you can use Divx too):

[​IMG]

12. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

Sure, and up'it on MediaFire for example. If it is bigger than 100MB, split it with winrar.

13. cjbarth

cjbarth Member

I appreciate your efforts. I'll let you know when I get it done. I have a suspicion about the subtitles on the video. You've given me very complete help and it still isn't working. Even then I can't get the subtitles to show in some of the video players that I have like Media Player Classic, which is usually pretty good at that kind of stuff.

On second though, before I upload the video let me try with a different DVD from the series and see if maybe this particular DVD is messed up some how (how I can't imagine, but it's worth a shot). I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.

14. cjbarth

cjbarth Member

It seems that the movie I was working with had a problem with its subtitle track. I was able to apply your method to other videos in the series and it worked well. I also found that going back and using Handbrake worked very well. I've never seen such high quality compression in an easy-to-use tool before.

Thanks again for your help.