1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide discussion: Convert Subtitles from SUB / IDX to SRT

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by vurbal, Feb 13, 2012.

1. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Although this guide has been around for quite a while, we've recently received an email asking for some clarification. Instead of responding privately to help just a single person, I'm starting this thread to help anyone who has questions on the guide. Ultimately this information will be used to revise the guide so we can make it better for everyone.

If you have questions about another subtitle guide, please start a new thread in this forum and send me a PM to bring it to my attention. The same goes for any questions about any other guides, although you should obviously select the appropriate forum based on the subject. Alternatively, you can just PM me with a link to the guide and your question and I'll start an official thread to get things started.

If you aren't familiar with the guide, this link will take you to it:

Convert Subtitles from SUB / IDX to SRT

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

The first things I'm going to address come from a support email we received. If you sent the email, feel free to post any followup questions here. Besides answering your questions here, I am working on a revised guide where they will be answered. Before I do that, I will be looking for any other questions or suggestion you (or anyone) may have.

I would recommend always previewing the first few subtitles (timecodes). It's also a good idea to pick a few other points further in, particularly if you see a lot of potential problems in the beginning. In my experience, italic or bold formatting, punctuation like brackets, parentheses, colons, or semicolons, and lots of multiple line subtitles are often signs OCR will involve a lot of manual work.

In my experience, most of the time VobSub's OCR requires very little guidance. However, if it fails early and often, that usually lasts until the end. Not always, but usually.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

by eck where did you spring from?

good to see this very useful guide updated and reposted :)