1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help hardcoding Aegisub & Avidemux?

Discussion in 'Subtitle help' started by shotgunsuzie, Apr 9, 2013.

1. shotgunsuzie

shotgunsuzie Member

hello everyone, I've been all over the web looking for the best (easiest) way to hardcode subtitles. What I've found so far is to use MkvCleaver to separate video,audio, & subtitles. I then use Aegisub [A Wonderful Program!] to alter anything i want to on my subtitles, including the color. I'm not an advanced user so thats all i changed was the color of my subtitles from white to yellow, it stands out for me allot more since I'm color blind. After that i open up my video file in Avidemux, I found out after i opened my video/audio in the program the audio was a little sketchy in preview and i couldn't see any subs from my .ass subtitle so i opened up the original mkv file with Avidemux and that worked fine, went to uptop menu Video>Filter> and added my .ass file i had changed the color to yellow on with Aegisub. I left both video and audio to copy my output format i changed to .mp4 i clicked save file typed out the name of the file ending it with .mp4 and voila it was done. It played beautifully and the subtitles looked good except the color was white with a black border.
    Can Anyone tell my why Avidemux wont let me keep the changes i made to my .ass subtitle?

Also I've tried using Virtualdub i have a little success with it, ive done hours of reading up on what filters it needs etc. and added everything still i'm thinking my solution using Mkvcleaver>Aegisub>Avidemux is by far the easiest solution to hardcoding subtitles from an MKV file.

And I've tried using Freemake it picks up my video/audio fine but when it comes to adding the .ass after I've finished rendering the file, the video has audio but no subtitles. I don't know what Freemake has against .ass subtitles.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

2. attar

attar Senior member

AviDemux defaults to white subs.
    To use VirtualDub, do this..

Go here.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/DirectVobSub_download.htm
    Scroll down to this:
    "Download DirectVobSub 2.39 [2009-06-24] without installer - for Windows 7/Vista/XP"

The zip contains VSFilter.dll.
    Extract the zip.
    Copy the .dll to the 'Plugins' folder in VirtualDub.
    Rename the dll to VSFilter.vdf
    Start VirtualDub and load the video.
    Click Video > Filters > Add; select 'TextSub' and OK.
    Browse to the .ass file and 'Open' then OK.
    Back in the main window, press the enter key to start the output preview playback.
    Assuming it's good, You now have to select a compressor to recode the output.

3. shotgunsuzie

shotgunsuzie Member

thanks for the help Attar ill give this a try, i do have one question can i add video other video codecs to Virtualdub for Compression?

4. attar

attar Senior member

VirtualDub only saves files in AVI format and can only use VFW codecs for compression - which generally means using the XviD or DivX codec (although the likes of the VFW version of the X264 codec can also be used if installed on the PC).

The XviD codec, when installed, then becomes available under Video > Compression on the menu of VirtualDub.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/XviD-Codec

It is possible (using 'external codecs') to save video in MKV, MP4, MPEG, etc formats - but this requires some extra work.

5. shotgunsuzie

shotgunsuzie Member

It's a success! i got my new hardcoded subtitles & saved everything to .avi with virtualdub. My file size is only 296mb^^ i think i'll just use freemake to convert this puppy to an apple compliant mp4. Thanks for all your help i can now hardcode subtitles!