1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ipod Classic 80gb Problem

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by mikefig, Nov 7, 2012.

1. mikefig

mikefig Member

Hi Guys, hope this is the right place to post this but need some assistance in fixing my IPOD 6G 80GB Classic.

Basically, I have discovered that my Ipod has some bad sectors on its harddrive.
    Now its 80GB but i can currently only sync roughly 150 songs and then it freezes the ipod.

I assume at around the 150 mark, the hardrive hits a bad sector and fails to write to it, causing it to freeze the Ipod.

My question is, is there a way of 'skipping' or 'flagging' the bad sectors so that i can write the files (songs from itunes) to either side of the bad sectors (the good parts of the harddrive)

Thanks

2. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

Hm, I am not sure that skipping a particular sector is at all possible from within the iPod. Try using HDTUne which will scan the iPod's hard disk and display which sector is healthy (in green) and which one is faulty (in red).

3. mikefig

mikefig Member

Hi thanks for the response, I tried HDTune and I dont think it worked properly as firstly the ipod is 80gb but it shows up as 9gb on the HDTune drop down list AND when I ran it, all the squares turn red which cant be right as I know i can fit about 150 songs to begin with.

Are there any piece of software for partitioning the Ipod if I installed 3rd party software, i.e. RockBox etc?

Thanks

4. Mez

Mez Active member

Maybe the problem is not ther sectors but in the FAT. If your ipod material is not backed up it would be prudent before you did anything other than diagnostics.

When that is finished I suggest you run a chkdisk utility on your disk first. Make sure that is in order before you proceed. Maybe the FAT is your only problem.

I am curious, why would you add Rockbox to your ipod? I would be worried about an Apple attack. Every now and then someone complains about their ipod not working. When you find out what the user was doing before the shut down it almost invaribly had to do with some kind of security violation. Many years ago I learned I had to unintall itunes from my computer before I could access my ipod with Media Monkey. Otherwise when I accessed it I would get an error and to get it running I had to do a restoore which whipes out everythoing on your ipod. It was made to look like the problem was due to Media Monkey but there was not a problem if itunes was off my computer. The fun about these attacks is Apple will not help you in any way. More than half the time the user trashes the ipod.

I never used RockBox; what does it do that itunes does not do? I only use play lists and shuffle for 99% of my listening. If you are interested in stats try Media Monkey. There are user made scripts that upload stats ratings etc from the ipod during a sync. It gets them from the itunes database on the ipod.

5. mikefig

mikefig Member

Rock box is a customer firmware for ipod, replacing the current ipod firmware. The only reason I ask about RockBox is that I know for a fact that the current Ipod firmware does not allow multiple patitions. I was hoping that somethign like RockBox would allow multiple partitions as then that way, I would split up my ipod into multiple partitions and ONLY put music on the 'good working' partitions, therefore removing the 'freezing and hanging' that i get when trying to put music onto my ipod.

Basically, all I want to know is how to put the maximum amount of music onto my ipod by removing/moving around the bad sector I have come across.

As it stands, I can put on 1.11 GB of music or files onto the ipod before it crashes (due to the harddirve on the ipod having a bad sector)

If I could bypass the bad sector in any way, I may find that boyond the 1.11GB, i can store anythign upto 160GB.

Its rather annoying and sitll not fixed :(

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

how can you store 160gig on 80gig?

7. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

ok there is a way to do this but you wont like it..

How to restore a Ipod any model with freezing issues through syncing.

items you need.

1. windows machine if you sync by windows

2. access to a macintosh computer sorry even if you are using it on a windows machine you need this.

3. itunes latest version

Here is the process you need to make sure itunes is launched on the macintosh connect your iPod to the computer when it pops up it will ask you do you want to sync with this machine say yes it will format the ipod for macintosh use then go into the ipod sync menu and turn on the disk use enabled option once done close iTunes leaving the ipod connected go to utilitys on the macintosh now go into disk utilities select the iPod click the erase tab then select security options and select write zeros once over the disk leaving the ipod connected after the format relaunch iTunes itunes will report your ipod needs restored tell it ok to restore it once the restore is done you have a fresh no bad sector ipod but you need to understand something very important about this do not try this in windows windows will cause a dead iPod.

8. mikefig

mikefig Member

sorry i meant 80GB !

9. Mez

Mez Active member

You didn't read the complete post.

10. Mez

Mez Active member

Megadunderhead, why does itunes need to be the latest version, just to format a disk? You can format just by right clicking on the drive in file explorer. You might have a problem of getting itunes back on your ipod but you should be able to do a restore.

Before you go that route you might want to try using something like Sharepod to completely remove everything from your ipod and clean out the database. I have had to do that when I lost disk space. It came back that way. If that doesn't work then you can format it. I actually forgot about the bad old days. I stopped using itunes all together after that. I don't lose space now.

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

Mez, i did read who post before i posted above which is why i asked that. knew he made a mistake but had to be certain.

12. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

if all ese fails you could try this link several ways you can go about making your ipod new if nothing else works

13. mikefig

mikefig Member

Hey guys, thought I'd post a solution I found.
    If you completely format the iPod via a Apple Mac using iTunes. The connect the iPod to laptop running Ubuntu, I used gParted to make a partition within the iPod itself.

In gParted, I made a 10gb 'unallocated space' and 70gb 'the same as what it was before'
    After that, plugged the iPod back into a Windows machine to import songs through iTunes, and the iPod formatted itself (restored etc) but this time it only had 70gb!

Basically, in the starting 10gb of the harddrive, there was bad sector (or mroe than one etc) and as I created the unallocated space at the 'start' using gParted, when putting songs onto the 70gb iPod, there were no freezes!

Hope this helps anyone!