1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3D Movies on my HD Plasma TV

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by CWBYUP, Jan 3, 2010.

1. CWBYUP

CWBYUP Member

I recently went to a 3D movie with my kids and got to wondering if it is possible to obtain a 3D movie in DVD or Blu-Ray and watch it in 3D on my HD Plasma TV using the 3D glasses I got from the movie theatre?

If not, what equipment or software do I need to watch a 3D movie on my LCD computer screen?

Thank you for any imput.
    CWBYUP

2. dailun

dailun Active member

Anaglyphic (red/green) - YES (Ex. "Bob's Big Break" from the Monsters Vs. Aliens DVD/Blu-Ray or "Coraline"

Polarized (ex. IMAX 3D format) - NO.

I am not aware of any technology that will allow the polarized 3D effect on an LCD screen.

You can use LCD shutter glasses, but you'd need a movie that is encoded for that specific format (AFAIK know there are NONE) as well as the hardware to sync the movie to the glasses.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  3. CWBYUP

CWBYUP Member

Thank you for the input. I'll wait until technology catches up with my wants. I've heard that some cable companies are going to start broadcasting in 3D in 2011.
    CWBYUP

4. Travveh

Travveh Member

Philips has come out with a 3D HDTV that doesn't need the silly glasses and whatnot. Given, it's a tad pricey ($25,000)
    Philips 3D HDTV

Also, nVidia has a "3D Vision" kit out that does this kinda thing. Never tried it. Been tempted though. I just don't use my desktop enough these days to invest.
    nVidia 3D Vision