1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m2ts to AVCHD or anything a samsung player can read?

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by AmandaSB, Dec 6, 2009.

1. AmandaSB

AmandaSB Member

Hi All,

I'm a new member and hope I'm posting this in the correct forum. Here's the scoop:

I just purchased a Samsung BD-P1600 blu-ray player this weekend and hooked it up to my HDTV. Works well and plays store bought blu-ray movies no problems.

My brother has a HD camcorder (sony?) and recorded a bunch of home videos. He burned them onto DVD for me and the files are m2ts format.

My new blu-ray DVD player doesn't recognize m2ts file format, so I can still only watch the home videos on my computer using Nero 9.

I'd really like to have the whole family watch the home videos on the big screen in HD over christmas, so I need to convert them to something the samsung 1600 can recognize. Like AVCHD?

Already have some basic experience with video editing, but haven't done anything in HD at all. Already own Nero 9 and older versions of DVD decrypter, womble mpeg video editor, ulead digital media center, psp video 9, pinnacle studio, any dvd and a few other random editing, converting and back up pieces of software.

Any advice? A free converter would be awesome, but I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount for a good one.

Thanks!

Amanda

2. AmandaSB

AmandaSB Member

My brother's camera is actually a Canon HF-10, not a Sony. But I don't think that matters - the file format and my samsung blu-ray player are the real problem.

Help?

Amanda

3. SProdigy

SProdigy Regular member

There are some good FREE encoders out there. I'm assuming these are burned to the DVD as a data disc? You can try Super or Handbrake to re-encode them to the format of your choice.

Here is a good article here on AD comparing some of these programs:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/20681.cfm