1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not many players like this!

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by janlafata, Dec 8, 2009.

1. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

I just bought my first flat screen TV, a 46 inch Samsung that I'm real happy with. Now I need to get a new DVD player and I'm definitely leaning towards a new Hi-def DVD recorder. One I"m curious about is the Phillips DVDR3576H.

What makes it unique, as far as I can tell, is it's one of the few DVD recorders with a hard drive. I guess it's been out for awhile, but I'm having hard time finding it anywhere new, though Amazon does have a few used or refurbished. http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVDR3576H-Recorder-160GB-Built/dp/B0013WM0BQ/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Also, as far as I can tell, Philips does not market many of these in the US. This thing is kind of expensive too and I don't know if it's worth it. I'm actually just leaning more towards a nice Toshiba or Panasonic DVD Recorder, but I just wanted to get some opinions on the Phillips.

2. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Did you manage to pick one of these up?

I guess the whole idea of the DVD + HDD turned out to be not so
    popular, hence the dearth of them available.

3. janlafata

janlafata Regular member

Interesting that you mention that at this at this time of the year because, here it is, well into the new year and I still have not made a decision about what direction to go in to play back DVD's and be able to record some TV shows.

I'm not rushing it though, because, like I mentioned in one of my other threads..I am still using my old Sanyo VCR to record TV and playing DVD's back on a basic Magnavox player and that's all working for now, but at some point this year I want to replace all of that with whatever direction I decide to go.

I think the Phillips option is out, mainly because they are pricey, and I can't find any new ones. At this point I'm leaning more to either a Panasonic or Toshiba DVD recorder with built-in tuner. But actually I have a question about that and maybe you can help...

I was looking at the Toshiba at the local Sam's Club yesterday and I'm wondering..If it has a built in tuner, how does it get the TV signals to record from. I did not see any 75 ohm coaxial input and output, like on my old VCR. Is it just that the Samsung HDTV puts out a "hot" signal and the Toshiba picks that up in it's inputs, even when its turned off?

4. davexnet

davexnet Active member

I believe you just connect a signal source
    (ATSC antenna, cable or satellite TV, etc,etc) to the unit
    and presumably, the signal is passed through to the TV. How else
    could you see what you were recording ?
    This is the model I looked at:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvr/product.asp?model=dvr670