1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

transcoding a video to play at half speed?

Discussion in 'Digital video discussion for Linux users' started by shonangc, Sep 5, 2010.

1. shonangc

shonangc Member

Hi,

I would think this is an easy search, but I can find almost nothing on the topic.

I want to take a short video and slow it down for non-native speakers. I know VLC can do this while playing it, but the students are not going to be able to use VLC. I need the source video to already be slowed.

Does anyone know how I can do this? I would prefer to use avidemux, or handbrake, on linux.

Thank you.
    Greg

keywords: slow motion, half-speed, 1.5x slow, 2x slow, dialogue dialog speaking words too fast

2. attar

attar Senior member

I don't think AviDemux has the filters to do it.
    VirtualDub (which outputs AVI) can slow the video down - but more important it can keep the slowed down audio close to the pitch of the original.

Here is one file slowed to 2/3 of normal.

View My Video

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

You have to get funky with cinelerra .. which only works on some distros and releases.. plus you need a real kick ass setup to run it.

or you can try ffmpeg or something.. it's not something I have ever done except to change 23 or 30fps to 25(pal) http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=688679

otherwise google for linux ideas of what you want to do because all you will get on this site are winhdoze suggestions.