1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

games not playing on Wine

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by theslayor, Aug 16, 2012.

1. theslayor

theslayor Member

Hello,
    I have Linux 9.4 (not sure) and I downloaded Wine not many weeks ago, I put in GTA San Andreas, installed it and started it on Wine the screen just went from white slowly to black and to white again continuously until I force exit

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I'm really not surprised.. Wine is pretty rubbish (windoze 98 isn't it?) and of course gta relies heavily on directx 9

3. theslayor

theslayor Member

So is there anyway to fix it or use something else for the game?

4. Schmick

Schmick Member

I've played GTA:SA under Wine from start to finish a couple of times, so can confirm it does run. It might be time to upgrade your system and get a fresh install, Ubuntu 9.04 reached EOL almost two years ago.

5. theslayor

theslayor Member

I have upgraded to 10.4 and the problem is still there so I'll have to upgrade to the next one, I think its 11. Something

6. Schmick

Schmick Member

The first number is the year, second is the month. 11.04 is slated for EOL as of next month too. You're not going to get much assistance when using such old versions - any problems were probably fixed long ago.

Seriously, upgrade to a current release of whatever distro you choose and current version of Wine. Beyond that, read the entry at http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3780

7. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

its really hardware dependent.. I can't run it on wine using the old gfx drivers I'm limited to which are very patchy 3d render wise.. so I ran the ps2 iso in the tweaked to hell ps2 emulator instead.. and then only to test code patches for the emulator.. (and as I built the linux from source all the way it's not even a "version" of anything) I don't play games on my desktops..

I'm going to go with Mick on this one. Arch tends to work where others don't in this respect.. IF you can get it to install..

my hardware was old in 2007.. but this might help.. you will have to find out how to install and set up directx in wine..

http://www.wine-reviews.net/games/gta-sanandreas-on-linux-with-wine.html

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  8. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

yea i am sorry to say that wine is system dependent if you dont have a 512 meg graphics card to run in linux to handle wine you wont get very many games to run