1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Media Server NAS Dlink DNS-323 for PS3: ffmpeg

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by laperle, Mar 21, 2011.

1. laperle

laperle Member

I bought my dns 323 two weeks ago and it is working without any porblem. It streams to my pc, ps3 and android phone and i am very happy about it.
    Unfortunately I am unable to play some avi videos and youtube videos using mediatomb and/or twonky as ffmpeg is missing in the os and i am unable to install it.
    Any idea how to install ffmpeg or similar?
    Thanks.

2. Schmick

Schmick Member

I think the problem is that your DLNA program is trying to transcode. You should be able to find instructions on the net for how to make mediatomb stream with some config changes. It could also be bad headers in the network packets.

If you can, a better solution might be to try to install minidlna. I've had nothing but good results with it, and works perfectly with Samsung hardware (TV and Galaxy S with Allshare). It also supports inotify, so newly added files are picked up immediately, I think mediatomb relies upon scheduled scans.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

ffmpeg will transcode and stream on the fly.. so the real problem lies with the few files which aren't working.. I suggest processing them into something which you know works rather than mess with something which is currently working well.. for most things.. the danger when you start mucking about with proprietary implementations of software embedded is.. you can make a right royal screwup.. so take the files which don't work off the box.. and transcode them to a sensible format for streaming..

the other problem with your plan is this.. a dns probably doesn't have very much actual processing power.. and certainly not a lot of ram..

CPU 500 Mhz Marvell 88F5181 proprietary Feroceon ARM CPU architecture
    RAM Two 32 MB Nanya NT5DS16M16CS-6K

yeah really.. would take about a week to transcode a 2 hour 720x576 stock mpeg to avi dvd rip... (not quite.. probably 6-10 hours.. you get my drift)

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011