1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ubuntu 12.04 internet

Discussion in 'Linux - General discussion' started by david94, Mar 6, 2012.

1. david94

david94 Regular member

i think your right, but i have been using distros such as mageia 2 and fedora 17, which both use kernel 3.3, with 3.3 both the computers i run dont have any problems. i will try ubuntu 12.04 but using the kernel ppa or manually upgrading the kernel to 3.3 see if anything else happens

2. david94

david94 Regular member

tried ubuntu 12.04 with kernel 3.3, no luck so switching to fedora 17 when released.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I found something interesting.. it looks like they have been buggering about in lots of different places.. wpa_supplicant which used to run from /var/run/blahblahblah now just runs from /run/ .. etc

It's a really strange problem because in actual fact it's breaking all networking.. wired included though it continues to work mostly.. With a dongle there is obviously something else going on.. I found I could set the link to "up" and while it demanded it was "down" I could scan the local networks and see them all.. but on trying to connect there was a "no carrier" timeout.

Hres a thought.. no networks will be initialised when running wicd or another network manager unless it's called by an applet.. rc.conf is interesting (debian variants use symlinks to rc.d) as when loading the "network" daemon wired is fine, but that then messes up the "networkmanager" daemon.. the fault seems to be in networkmanager (and friends) rather than the applet, but that would explain the applet not loading.. circular dependency problem?

I have reverted my Arch lappy right back to 3.0.1 and the problem remains (25/6 it began with some unfathomable change to networkmanager and wpa_supplicant which were both woring fine)

I think somewhere some arses need a good swift kick.. I'm getting pretty sick and tired of this new "change for the sake of it" mentality from the kernel devs, not to mention the obvious complete lack of any upstream testing .. because surely breaking wifi connectivity is a pretty BIG ISSUE not to notice before pushing something out into "core".. What happened to "if it works leave it be" .. they haven't messed about with cups in years (yeah yeah.. we bloody hate that antiquated printer management system, but it works and we are used to it.. maybe being owned by the unix people stops the cavalier buggering about on a whim we have seen recently across most distros.. ) I wonder why fedora isn't broken.. oh yes.. it's "free" redhat.. and who employs 90% of the kernel devs.. oh aye.. redhat!!.. Something smells.. but I'm not quite sure what..

4. david94

david94 Regular member

you have a good point there, but iv completely given up now. fedora 16/17 work fine and so i will stick with fedora in the future as well. seems more stable to me anyway. thanks for everyones help.

5. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

would you believe it's STILL broken? .. this is getting beyond a joke. I'm running puppy on my netbooks and sabayon on my big iron.. I had to give up with arch as I rely on that little old dell as my travel machine.. and it kept breaking too often, usually the wireless!! but occasionally the desktop too.

6. david94

david94 Regular member

i managed to get ubuntu 12.04 working fine on my gaming machine but issues still with it on the netbook, i find fedora a better disto, will be sticking with it

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  7. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

chances are it's all tangled up with module load order.. annoying the way they just make randon changes for no reason.. seems nobody tests.. I'm running sabayon and something I built from source now.. 2.6 kernel.. no problems.

8. david94

david94 Regular member

exacly, the 2.6.x kernels were fine in ubuntu. and sometimes in ubuntu they like to change things that dont need changing at all, oh well