1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why wont iTunes open AAC music file?

Discussion in 'Mac - General discussion' started by mantara1, Nov 29, 2012.

1. mantara1

mantara1 Member

Hello. I recently downloaded an AAC music file but iTunes wont open it on my imac desktop (Lion o/s). My VLC player can play the AAC file but I would like to burn the AAC file to a disk to play in my car's CD player without having to convert to an mp3 format. I have iTunes 10.4. Do I need to upgrade to the latest version of iTunes in order to play AAC files?

2. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

you need to convert the file to mp3 transfer back into itunes then create a itunes aac not all acc are created the same use vlc to convert the file to mp3 using the streaming and exporting wizard

3. mantara1

mantara1 Member

Thanks for advice but surely by first converting to mp3 there will be a loss in sound quality which defeats the purpose of the exercise.
    The whole purpose of AAC is to retain better sound quality.
    Is there no way that I can burn the original AAC file to cd rom from the vlc player without first changing its format to mp3?

4. megadunderhead

megadunderhead Regular member

yep sorry you have to change to mp3 it's stupid because we have dual aac formats the hacker format which keeps isp's from spying on the file and the original that itunes reads and you wont lose sound quality because once converted to mp3 you can reconvert it back into aac through iTunes