1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a good uninstaller/registry cleaner

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Mez, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Mez

Mez Active member

I have an older XP computer have have quite a few applications that can't be uninstalled. I would prefer good and free but I am fed up enough to pay to clean up the computer.

I will not go to Vista or 7 because I really do not like them.

2. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

I use Revo Uninstaller .Give it a try. Was the only way I got rid of the stupid Napster that came pre-installed on my Vista laptop.

3. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Revo is very good, here's another I see mentioned a bit: ZSoft Uninstaller 2.4.1 (both free)(personally I've used both and prefer Revo but didn't try ZSoft very long). A good program with a mild Reg Cleaner in it is Tune Up Utilities, can be had free here last I checked: http://www.v3.co.uk/vnunet/downloads/2231665/tuneup-utilities-2007 (key is in article). Used it since 04 version and after opening three windows, never asks again if you choose. Another excellent Registry Cleaner is RegSeeker but be careful using it, it's very agressive and items found in a search may have similar names but have no relation. Deleting the wrong item in the Registry can hose the whole system. It does make a backup but an image is the way to go, that way you can be back running in a few minutes no matter what happens. There is also a Reg Cleaner function and both functions allow the deletion of safe (green) items only. Free too.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  4. silk42

silk42 Regular member

CCleaner is a great free utility that will help you clean your computer. Here's there website.
    http://www.ccleaner.com/

5. mauvais

mauvais Member

yup, i feel the same about vista and 7!! try 'your unistaller', it also removes the registry values of the uninstalled application...you can try the trial version which is good for 21 days. then there's 'tuneup utilities' which is also pretty useful for seeing exactly what applications are running in the background, the trial is for about a month...but i guess that's more than enough time for u can get rid of all the unwanted application.
    sorry about not posting a link, but u can always google it, better yet search for it on cnet where you can check out the reviews.

6. mistycat

mistycat Active member

There is a free version (not crippled in any way) of Tune Up Utilities 2007 in my post above and it seemed to work fine with both Vista and W 7.