1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I clear my computer disk space?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by elizabetg, Oct 31, 2013.

1. elizabetg

elizabetg Newbie

When I try to run a program, a warning will come up and telling me that PC gets low disk space. Just a newbie question, how can I remove all those useless stuff? Maybe a disk defragmentation could help me reorder all these things on my computer then the deleting work will be much easier for me?
    Following: Colorful Disk Clean seems good and cheap, any other recommendation?

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  2. attar

attar Senior member

What's the capacity/usage/free space on your hard drive.

[​IMG]

3. Picazzo

Picazzo Member

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Never pay for any software unless absolutely necessary in your case it's unnecessary

a disc fragmentation won't work as you'll need at least 15% free space which you don't have & it doesn't free up space only remove data can

do a web search on how to free up disc space or better still get a larger hard drive much larger

remove any unused programs from add/remove
    before i recommend using any registry cleaner like ccleaner & defrggler,install easeus todo backup once you have free space & create system image,doing so will negate any problems you may get if a system file gets damaged

unsubbed

5. elizabetg

elizabetg Newbie

Extremely low, but the problem got fixed now. Thanks all the same.

6. elizabetg

elizabetg Newbie

Thank u, I have tried the thing u told, actually Colorful Disk Clean performs much better...Thank u all the same.

7. Bozobub

Bozobub Member

a) Registry "cleaners" are a horrible idea. I've had to reinstall Windows for several users, after they borked their systems. One was using CCleaner. Do NOT depend on these!

b) You don't need 3rd-party utilities to free disk space. Removing programs with the Add/Remove Programs dialog in the Control Panel, plus use of the Disk Cleanup Wizard, is quite sufficient.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

haven't had that problem with ccleaner & i've been using it for at least 9yrs plus introduced it to this site when i 1st signed on here.

9. Bozobub

Bozobub Member

Then you're simply lucky ^^' .

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

maybe than maybe not.

11. Bozobub

Bozobub Member

The most common risk I've seen with registry-cleaner programs is the nuking of registry entries made by heavily copy-protected programs, which doesn't necessarily mean a reinstall of the OS, but certainly requires a reinstall of the affected program.

But again, I've had to repair the systems involved, so I can say definitely that registry cleaner programs (at least without making damn sure you back up the entire hive) are an unacceptable risk. Admittedly, only one system I had to deal with was nailed by CCleaner, but it DID happen. Other registry cleaners' records are nowhere near as good, as well.

12. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I am inclined to agree with Both DDP AND Bozobub. First, Ccleaner is the safest Reg cleaner you can use. Over the years it has become way less aggressive and normally will not screw up, but that does not mean I trust it enough not to make a Reg backup before using it. Second, a fly-by-night reg cleaner that says it can speed up your computer is a crock of caca.
    If it cleans hundreds of reg entries, that only comes out to a few milliseconds. Not enough to waste your time or take the chances...

I do clean the leftovers from the registry on customer computers that I have removed malware. I use SystemLook to pull it up and a .reg file to remove it. One must be very carefull to remove just the bad entries and leave the good ones alone.
    As I always say "Good judgement comes from experience and Experience comes from a lot of poor judgement." LOL