1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

win 7

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by rtrg, Apr 15, 2014.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I found WIN 7 as an EXE file on another web site I use often. Is this file REALLY an EXE (with SP1) or an ISO file in disguise? I cannot deal with ISO files. No burner/software/flash drive. No knowledge as to how to do it that way. If this is real than I am willing to try it on one of my spare hdds. Insight please.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

sounds fishy to me.can you post a link for this website?

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

The web site is SOFTPEDIA.com. The site is legitimate as I use it often. In the list provided there is only ONE entry as .exe file. All the rest are ISO files in english, several mirrors, several languages. I looked at EBAY for a installation CD for DELL, no product key needed. I found none. I DID find generic WIN 7 recovery CDs for 7 and other OS's written to multiple CDs as a set. I do not know if a recovery cd is also an OS reinstallation cd specific to a vendor, in my case DELL or if they can be used on multiple vendors regardless of age, model, or existing OS, with or without a COA needed and if yes could I use any XP PRO COA from a number of desktops I no longer have of various vendors. Any insight welcome. If a recovery cd can also install the OS than a 9 piece set could prove to be very helpful. I was told that WIN 7 is what VISTA SHOULD have been and is also similar in appearence to XP and can also be customized to look and function like XP. This would be an experiment written to a spare HDD. If I am satisfied with it I will add my apps and perhaps use OE6 and IE8 or IE9 if it is meant to work with 7. I do not have a legitimate COA for 7. Nor do I know if a COA is provided or needed.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. aldan

aldan Active member

anything legitimate will require a product key.i avoid softpedia because of the crap they try to include with their downloads.personally i would stay away from it but if you are doing this on another hdd what can it hurt.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

cannot use oe6 with vista & above as xp was last to use it.

6. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

You get 30 days to activate 7 and need to use windows live mail, IE is now v.11
    If you don't like 7, you will get very ill with 8
    I have used xp pro for 12 years, it's stable
    Started running 7 ultimate 64 bit on a new build and it is stable

7. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

cyclops1, edit your sig ASAP to conform to forum rules as you have 6 lines of text plus blank line were as the rules state 5 lines of text.

8. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

I'm going there now, oops.