1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 - is it possible to set Libraries physically to another HDD

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Chamee, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Chamee

Chamee Member

I installed Windows 7 and I really want to arrange my files rationally for once. Of course this would be easy by just using the available libraries in my user folder to arrange all my documents, music, videos, downloads etc. But it's useless to me because I don't want to store my files in C:. What I want is to set the Libraries, or maybe even the entire Users folder to physically exist in my secondary HDD. I know I could just copy the Libraries to the other drive, but then I lose it's functionality in Windows Explorer. If I want to keep the functionality, I have to make a link to the other drive, but then the data is still physically in C: drive. I thought this would be simple to do, but I can't find a solution.

2. donewell

donewell Regular member

3. Chamee

Chamee Member

Thank you, it worked! I was trying to do that to "Libraries", but I now see that "Libraries" isn't really a folder. So I just right clicked for properties on my documents and wrote the new destination, L:\Documents, but now I have a new problem. I tried to do this to all the public libraries by making a separate parent folder for them, L:\Public\Documents, it does move the folders and content, but they can no longer be accessed from the side panel of Windows Explorer. I never use the public libraries, but some programs do, I hope that doesn't create more problems.

Edit:
    Wait.. now it just sorted itself out, all I did was close the Windows Explorer and reopen it. Now everything is in L: and working as I intended. Don't know what the problem was but there were some COMODO (Internet Security) folders there and COMODO is just relentless about everything that happens in the computer, so maybe it was that.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  4. donewell

donewell Regular member

I left my public folders on c drive so other computers can access. If i want to share something i copy it to the public folder. i don't use them very often

5. Chamee

Chamee Member

So for sharing they need to be on C:? I don't have other computers in my home network right now but maybe later. Are public folders shared automatically?

6. donewell

donewell Regular member

They are shared with other win 7 homegroup. You can elect to share the regular libraries with other non win 7 or with everyone