1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 won't boot after upgrading fom athlon x2 to phenom x4!

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by Pnknjnk, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

Hey. So I have a relatively new windows 7 install, and a friend of mine ensured me it would be just fine if I popped in a new processor as long as it was similar - I asked if an athlon x2 to phenom would be fine if it was the same socket, and he was like yeah, of course.
    Clearly, he was wrong. The error I get is the whole BSOD with the whole "a problem was detected and windows has shutdown to prevent damage"
    the specific error being:
    MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION

When I launch repair, it also gives me this same error. When I attempt to run in safemode, it crashes out with the same error and an immediate reboot at classpnp.sys

Any info on repairing this without reinstall would be amazing - I still have the windows 7 ultimate disc sitting in the drive, so that's ready and at hand, if needed.
    If I have to reinstall, I can always do that, too, but it was just one component (and a new powersupply but that shouldn't matter) so I don't see what the issue is. Its a 64 bit install, and both processors are 64 bit. My RAM is running faster now with the phenom, if that matters. Thanks in advance!

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

tough luck.. nothing you can do but either go back to the previous processor or a full reinstall. different chip.. different hardware.. and a different machine altogether.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2010
  3. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

I was under the impression a processor with the same instruction set would just kinda work right in. There's no way to simply replace the files calling for that? Because that seems a little bit insane. The rest of my system is exactly the same and the processors use the same instruction sets. Are you sure a reinstall in the only way?

4. cee43ja1

cee43ja1 Regular member

a processor swap is a major component change. if your windows 7 disc is a retail version, reinstallation won't be a problem. but if it's an OEM install disc, then you either need to stick to the athlon x2 or buy a retail windows 7 disc.

5. scum101

scum101 Guest

of course you could always ditch the M$ drm laden crap and use something free and unix like which will use the power of your new hardware properly.

6. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

well if I must reinstall, is there a way to install "on top" of of the old one and preserve everything, or anything I can do to make sure I don't have to reinstall everything, and re-find every single last driver? I wish I hadn't deleted em all. Uhg.
    any information on making this smoother would be amazing.

7. jony218

jony218 Guest

It seems your new cpu is not compatible with the motherboard.

Try booting up your computer with a linux livecd. If it boots up fine then it might be a windows issue, if the computer won't bootup with the linux livecd then you have a hardware problem.

Even if windows detected a new component, it will tell you to reactivate windows. It will still work.

8. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

excellent. My mobo is supposed to be compatible - it's a biostar ta770, might have pluses or something, but I know its compatible with am2+, and this is a phenom x4 am2+ proc. it may just need a bios update - the linux live cd is a wonderful idea!

The suggestion seems even more viable as I just found out that the issue occurs when I attempt to install windows 7, a well. Super uh-oh.
    Could it be because I only have 1 4 pin proc power rail installed? I've read it should be fine with one without OC.
    to boot, I have an asus dark knight 4850 and I got a 800 some watt power supply to make sure everything was ok (I previously had a 550 watt sunbeam guy, going strong for 3 years... I think I'm pushing it keeping it in :) ) and the new one I bought exploded after a couple boots.

Now I'm worried my mobo might be fried, but I doubt it. I hope newegg will just take a return, as long as my 550 sunbeam can power everything ok. I'm gonna save a little and get a modular 1000w+ psu next month and not have to worry about it. No more no name power supplies.

Thanks for all the help, and I look forward to a mass of answers in the morning. I just got done with work and this laptop's screen is tiny, and I'm tiiiiired, so I appologize if the post was a little spacy. or poorly typed.

Also, if anyone is familiar with my board or would know - will I be able to flash the bios from USB or from CD ROM?
    Because otherwise I may be up shit creek if that's all it is.

9. scum101

scum101 Guest

since fista M$ have used a "no overwrite" scheme to stop you just reinstalling over an existing installation... wipe it totally.. 100% clean.. and start again.. I repartition the drives anyway.. all on C is retarded... never see that in *nix world..

have you tried to see if it will start with anything other than this M$ junk yet?? .. newegg aren't going to accept a return if theres nothing wrong with it.

I looked around and that chip should work with your board.. if it's booting as far as the bios then it's obviously working.. just the M$ garbage that isn't.. why do people still use that junk?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2010
  10. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

I use it because I play games, and I produce music. Linux is not capable of either of those things anywhere near a tiny fraction of 1 percent as well as windows.

A linux mint live CD would boot, just fine. So I figured I'm going to need to update the bios, but I will have to put the old proc back in, update it, and throw the new one in.

So as I'm trying to get my horrible, disgusting heatsink back in, I lightly nudge my mobo's fsb (I believe) heatsink, and the PLASTIC screw holder things explode, fire the spring into my eye, and now it has no heatsink.

I'm assuming that at this point, using the mobo will result in complete destruction, and possibly damage to other components, so now my music is fucked for two weeks, and my gaming is fucked for two weeks. Goooood damnit.