1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wired and wireless networks?

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by 1nsan3, Sep 5, 2011.

1. 1nsan3

1nsan3 Regular member

OK first off, so you understand and dont ask stupid questions...
    we live out in the country no cable or dsl. Using the MiFi from virgin mobile. can have up to 5 devices wirelessly at the same time for the internet. NO INPUTS for nothing. only wireless. 2 laptops and 1 pc that is online. I have 1 tower i use to store all my media etc. it does not go online. i only want it for a lan server. but i want the laptops to use the wired for the LAN only. and the wireless for internet. but when ya plug the wired in the wireless dont work. is there a way to configure this so they both work at the same time?

THanks

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

you want the laptops to access the tower which does not connect to the net but you also want those laptops to connect to the net via wireless, correct?

3. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Wouldnt you use a wireless router for such a situation? Plug the PC into it, wireless from the laptops. You could have access to home network, and when you need internet and MiFi simply change which signal you connect to.
    _EDIT_ working a lan with mifi as wireless may be difficult because you need similar address in a home network and your MiFi wont assign you a typical home network address

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011