1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XP disk defrag error :(

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by usmc7356, Jun 19, 2010.

1. usmc7356

usmc7356 Member

Having trouble getting an error that pops up onto screen every 30-45 min or whenever I try to analyze or defrag my computer from disk defrag. see error message below
    [​IMG]

This has only been going on for a couple weeks and sometimes the error box doesn't wanna go away. Here is the 2nd image of the disk defrag screen itself...
    [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did try to do a purgecache from run and a scannow

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  2. aldan

aldan Active member

have you tried using another disk defrag utility such as iobit smart defrag?

3. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

Use Defraggler . Windows defrag utily sucks and is really slow .

4. usmc7356

usmc7356 Member

I guess I didn't include the major problem in my original post. The problem is that it is scheduling itself to run and then when it attempts to run locks up and makes that error message on the screen that will not go away. I have to restart the computer in order to get it to go away. I will download the defrag you suggested to use, but I have to get the windows one to stop coming on. It is not scheduled to run by windows so could norton or something like that be doing it?

5. RastaDave

RastaDave Regular member

Have you run chkdsk ?

6. usmc7356

usmc7356 Member

yes...

I ran sfc /purgecache

sfc /scannow

chkdsk c:/r

prefetch

all as listed in microsoft article 555470

7. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

Download Autoruns: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/system_tools/misc_system_tools/autoruns.cfm

Check under the Scheduled Tasks tab to see if there is anything there you can remove.

If that doesn't work, then try to see if you can catch a process attempting to run the utility...

Download Process Explorer: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/system_tools/system_information/process_explorer.cfm

Let it sit in the background and then when Disk Defragmenter pops up, look at Process Explorer and if you see if it has popped up underneath a particular process. If so, then that process is usually responsible for running it, but it doesn't always work like that. Still interesting to try though.

8. aldan

aldan Active member

click start run,then programs,then accessories,then system tools,then scheduled tasks.see if disk defrag is scheculed.if so delete it ie unschedule it.