1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google account suspicious activity password

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by tali1, Apr 22, 2014.

1. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Google blocked a log in attempt of my user details in Turkey.What i want to know is was that fake attempt someone definitely had my password or was it simply attempted use of my email address alone in unrecgonised location that flagged up with Google ?
    I have changed the password.

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Don't know where you are or what you were doing in Turkey but a lot of these countries block any communication with the outside world and if you have changed your password and everything is working you are probably OK.

3. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Ah, but i wasn't in Turkey i'm in UK.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

could be a heartbleed bug issue with google.

5. Mez

Mez Active member

Are you sure Google was blocking you or was your password changed?

You could have a DNS malware and you were not where you thought you were. If so the hackers have your ID and password.

6. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Since that last post and password change i have had 3 Google Verification texts.Oddly , i have not received any suspicious log in attempts message texts which should come before the code and there is no messages on my Google account page on any of my devices about suspicious log in and location.
    However, i did notice that Verification code was being requested for Goole log in from I/exp so does each browser need a separate Verification code ?
    Also assuming if hackers have password/ID -i am totally safe as these require the codes which can only be sent to my phone?

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Each computer that you use to access your account must contain a special cookie in order for you to log in.
    If that cookie is transferred to a different computer, it will not work.
    I just imagine that each different browser that you use on a computer would also have to have it's own cookie.

True, if a hacker gets your password/ID there is no way they can get the code that is sent to your personal phone and is required to access the account.

You should be OK!

2oG

8. tali1

tali1 Regular member

Doh ! it was 2 devices that my sons were logging into- that caused the texts- and hence no suspicious activity message

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yeah, this kind of security is great but sometimes a pain in the butt.. If your browser clears the cookie when it closes, you must get a call and code to reset it each time you use it. I was using "self destructing cookies" and finally figured that out but was also running ccleaner at boot that was clearing all the cookies and was quite a hassle for a while. LOL

Hope you got it now. Have a Happy..

2oG