1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JAVA

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by whiskey99, Jan 14, 2014.

1. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,I just got a notification about a update for JAVA and went to their web page to do update and they have PC UTILITY tool to scan my PC do i have a need to run scan at all and in the download they say i can buy a upgrade,because if i do they may just thousands of problems with my PC as usual just that's what can

happen with these scans we all have seen over the years,thanks.

2. aldan

aldan Active member

no,you go to the java update page and just update java.its like a million other things you download.they will try to get you to add useless crap to the download.these scanners are not worth the powder to blow them to hell.

3. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

You don't even need Java it's a malware magnet and is not used anymore except a few business programs... Just uninstall it and you'll never miss it. I haven't used it for a couple of years and never know it. :)

Here’s a good article on Java. Remember they are not talking about Java “Script”, that’s a horse of a different color. :)

http://www.howtogeek.com/122934/java-is-insecure-and-awful-its-time-to-disable-it-and-heres-how/

The JavaScript programming language, developed by Netscape, Inc., is not part of the Java platform.
    JavaScript, does not create applets or stand-alone applications. In its most common form today, JavaScript resides inside HTML documents, and can provide levels of interactivity to web pages that are not achievable with simple HTML.

Listed are key differences between the Java and JavaScript.
    • Java is an OOP programming language while Java Script is an OOP scripting language.
    • Java creates applications that run in a virtual machine or browser while JavaScript code is run on a browser only.
    • Java code needs to be compiled while JavaScript code are all in text.
    • They require different plug-ins.
    JavaScript can have Bad files. If you are a geek use NoScript to handle it, if not, install Avast with a JavaScript filter.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  4. whiskey99

whiskey99 Regular member

HI,2oldGeek,You mentioned a filter to go along with Avast and i have seen off and on the mention of a filter on several occasions but to be honest with i have not the foggiest idea what a filter is and how it is employed,also i have had NoScript on my PC and either did not totally understand how to use it or i do not need it please explain to me the workings of it thank you.

5. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

The JavaScript filter I mentioned is included in Avast. If you are using Avast Antivirus you have it. Java is a programming language that is no longer needed by the average user and can be uninstalled.
    Internet Explorer uses Active X and the other Browsers use JavaScript (different from Java). There are *Bad Scripts out there and Avast will normally catch them. If you don’t use Avast then NoScript can be used but it requires a lot of attention and can be a pain in the butt unless you really know what you’re doing.
    I always recommend using Avast and for the non geek, that doesn’t want to make a lot of settings to it, I recommend using it in the “Hardened Mode”. Go to >settings>antivirus> check Deepscreen and Hardened Mode set to aggressive and you’re done….

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if using ie8 for facebook than need java.

7. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

You guys are always so far behind, IE is up to 11 now. and it's "Then" not "Than" :)

8. ddp

xp can only goto ie8 & i am not on facebook.

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Yeah, XP has been behind the times for a long time and it’s about time that M$ gave up the ghost..
    I guess my cleanup business will skyrocket after April with XP exploits. [​IMG]

10. ddp

don't count on it as didn't when support for win98\me stopped. remember what happened with the 2k bug?

11. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I remember, when these honeys went down the drain, I could barely keep up.... Not so much when NT went to 2K or 2k went to XP that was mostly business computers.

12. ddp

my customers at that time didn't as nothing happened.

13. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

had a good run with XP in 2005/ 2006. I was involved picking Merijn's brain about HJT and on Malwareremoval.com. met Niobis and came over on AD in 2005, what a hoot, on a normal night had 5 or 6 victims lined up and helping at the same time.. Them were the days :)

14. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

I have a question, if you wanna use a site that uses java programming is there a way to use it without having java installed?????

As for javascript,im running scripts on command and conquer in chrome, I dont even have a scripting program installed.

15. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Using scripts on command in chrome covers you with JavaScript.

For Java:

• If you don’t rely on any applications that use Java, and you don’t visit any sites that require Java in the browser, you should just completely remove the entire framework from your computer.

• If you use applications that require Java, you should disable the plugin in the browser.

• If you are forced to use Java in the browser for a specific site, you should disable Java in your main browser, and then use an alternate browser just for that one single site.

For regular users, there’s very little reason to keep Java around.

Note: many readers pointed out that the fun and extremely geeky game Minecraft requires Java. Obviously if you’re a geek, you deserve some Minecraft–but you should still disable the Java plugin in the browser.

16. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I do not use any applications or visit any sites that require Java programming therefore, I have removed Java and the Java plug-in from my computer.

In the past, I kept my JavaScript Plug-in disabled in my browser all of the time and only enabled it when a site informed me that it needed JavaScript. The question in my mind was; How do I know this site is not hosting Bad JavaScript?
    After discovering that my favorite AV, Avast, is equipped with a Script filter and has blocked Bad Script on a number of sites and I have so far not been infected, I now just leave the Plug-in enabled and no longer worry about it… :)

I use Firefox.

17. attar

attar Senior member

I run Staxrip on a schedule to convert recorded TV to avi.
    It won't run without Java.
    It requires it to support ProjectX which is part of the Staxrip package.

18. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

The whole point is; if you don't use or need Java then get rid of it. Otherwise be sure to keep it updated and maybe turn off the plug-in in the browser that's open game for exploit attacks.

as stated:
    • If you use applications that require Java, you should disable the plugin in the browser.

19. Mez

Mez Active member

I was talking to someone fairly high up in SAIC network management about safety on the internet. SAIC is a global leader in that field. He claims he will only use a virtual computer to purchase something on the internet. He creates it, does what he needs to do then destroys it. I didn't ask if he did any on line banking.

2Old, Good article!

20. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Sounds like he knows what he’s doing. I use Faronics Deep Freeze and flip over to a VM. When through, flip back to real machine and everything in VM is gone!

For e-mail and Credit cards I use MaskMe. My real e-mail is masked as a random address and directed through MaskMe. I can then turn it off when I get what I need or if they abuse it.

With the Credit cards, I create a virtual card, not my real card number, in the amount of the purchase and it is only good that one time. I never use a real CC number online.