1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

kaspersky AV update stuck at 28%

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by moleculo, Nov 20, 2010.

1. moleculo

moleculo Member

also not sure if this is the forum for this question, but i'll try:
    i have kaspersky antivirus 6.0, been using it for a few years and never encountered this problem before.
    for the last 2 days, update is stuck at 28% progress and won't finish. there's not any kind of error message, though in a day or two the program will alert me that the signatures are obsolete.
    i tried to repair the installation, didn't solve the problem.
    i'm afraid to remove kaspersky completely and re-install, because if that will also won't solve the problem i'll be stuck with 2007 signatures or even earlier.

everything else works okay, and the problem doesn't interfere with any other internet activities.

i'm out of ideas.
    any help will be appreciated.

2. MrChickens

MrChickens Member

Let's bump this request up, because am having EXACTLY the same problem.....Kaspersky not updated properly since 18.11.10, and gets stuck at 28%. No error message at all. I have Mwarebytes and tdskiller which show no rootkit or other mware-infection.

3. moleculo

moleculo Member

well, i managed to overcome this issue, though i can't promise it will work for you as well.
    since it was already 3 days without being able to update, i decided to take the chance and COMPLETELY remove kaspersky, including erasing leftover folders (from application data, etc), and re-installing. in this case i knew the first update (which i did DURING the installation) will take much longer but didn't know if it will finish. well, it did.

i did it without knowing if it will resolve the problem, and in case it didn't i preserved some other antivirus program which i never used before.

so all i can say is try it if you can, with precautions, and good luck :)

4. fm13

fm13 Member

1) Stop or kill Updater (avp.exe)

2) Delete all files and one folder in Update temp folder (on my servers it's C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Kaspersky Lab\AVP6\Data\Updater\Temporary
    Files\temporaryFolder\bases\av\avc\i386)

3) Start update

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  5. Koteska

Koteska Member

Thanks man, I'v been waiting for this answer since 19th November.. Thumbs up for fm13 !!

just to mention that I had to turn off the application startup load, and restart the PC, to delete those files..

To turn off the application startup load, click on Kaspersky, go to Settings, and under Autoload uncheck the "Lunch the application at startup"..

Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  6. MrChickens

MrChickens Member

This "fix" did not work. It DID, however completely corrupt the definitions files and database, and do lots of other irretrievable damage to Kaspersky. Now no update is possible AT ALL, and certain protection elements are unable to start. Only option now is to uninstall... Advice to others-DO NOT DELETE THOSE FILES. Either speak to Kaspersky direct, or reinstall.