1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

occasional internet redirect and pop up on multiple computers

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by CF01, Feb 14, 2011.

1. CF01

CF01 Regular member

ok so in the last three days i have noticed my computers have been redirecting to sites while browsing on sites like espn and here and the occasional popup and one computer is more of a family computer and the one i use is just used by me and i go on about 10 sites here,espn,youtube,ebay,google and occasionally yahoo to check my mail but i scanned my computer with norton and got nothing but one of these redirects norton did say we blocked a threat from your computer also i tried switching browsers from ie to firefox so basically my question is does anybody have any ideas of what to do or maybe what it is?

2. aldan

aldan Active member

you could try running malwarebytes and see if it picks anything up.also post a hijack this log so one of the gurus can peruse it.

3. CF01

CF01 Regular member

ran malwarebytes on mine got nothing ran it on the family it found one thing i deleted it and still the same effect is happening im going to try a system restore if that doens't work ill post back with a hijackthis log

4. CF01

CF01 Regular member

ok so i think it has something to do with my router because i have plugged in my old router and so far i have not gotten any redirects to google-analytics or any pop ups so does anyone have any ideas?

5. mrslicker

mrslicker Regular member

yes. could be a DNS hijack . this sends queries to rogue dns which send you to unwanted sites. maybe a revenue building tool for *someone* *somewhere*....
    anyway. log in to the affected router and look for DNS settings and enter them with known good ones, google provides some, as does your ISP, and various other outfits. once you enter in some reputable new servers, there could be an option to flush the dns cache (to forget whats in the memory), someone suggested this elsewhere. finally, change the identifier for your router (it is probably the model number or somesuch) and use a non-default password. look up dns hijack +router for more info on a search engine. lator

6. CF01

CF01 Regular member

you were exactly right i appreciate the help