1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thingbots

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Mez, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Mez

Mez Active member

Your paranoid buddy posting more stuff.
    DDP you may have been correct about DVRs being infected at the factory read on…

Very disturbing…
    Chinese appliances were found to contain a chip specifically crafted to spread malware to nearby computers.
    https://community.thawte.com/articles/new-infection-threat-malware-spreading-chips-attacks-connected-appliances

attack of the zombie refrigerators
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/01/...frigerator-to-send-750000-virus-laced-emails/

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...-what-hackers-used-in-a-complex-cyber-attack/

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i'm always right except when i'm wrong.

3. Jeremy Tanner

Jeremy Tanner Newbie

I just saw this post but only after I already bought a Samsung smart refrigerator. This is not good at all. But I did find this article on how to protect yourself. http://www.accreditedappliance.net/news/could-your-smart-refrigerator-be-spreading-a-virus/ What do you guys think?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i would make certain the "smart" appliance can Not connect to the wifi.

5. Jeremy Tanner

Jeremy Tanner Newbie

Yeah, great idea but that's the whole point in buying them. They provide tons of conveniences.

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I been looking for a smart toilet that can wipe my pa-toot for me. That would be convenient..:p

7. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i just want a device that's smart enough to cook my dinner and clean my house.

8. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

I have one........... her name is Shirley and we've been married 36 years...

9. aldan

aldan Active member

come on guys.didnt you all see "maximum overdrive"?LOL my bank machine calls me an bumhole all the time.wow,love the language edit on site now.meant a**hole.

10. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

my local atm hasn't swore at me and demanded all my money yet, give it time .............

Well you must either love each other or have a lot of patience good to hear ;) maybe even a bit of both.

11. Mez

Mez Active member

IoT are super easy to hack I watched 5 security professionals speaking for one of their organizations warning the Federal Trade Commission that IoTs will be a crisis in the near future. They claim Iots do not have poor security they have no security and pose a threat to our society. user/user and test/test were the ID and password for the master login for two security camera companies. In less than 10 minutes he was able to guess his way in as the root admin and could view and control any device in the system. They are not safe.

They complained that consumers don't even have a choice to buy a dumb device. One said she shopped for a dumb large screen TV because smart devices are a huge security risk but couldn't find any dumb TVs in that size.

Jeremy, if your device is Chinese it might have been infected with a botnet at the factory. In one of the linked articles they state some smart Chinese devices have hardware that will allow the devices to attack other devices by wifi or bluetooth. I read the findings on a survey where Iots were checked for botnets of the sample group, ALL were infected. I am certain the hackers that put malware on these devices had a reason and it is probably harming their owner in some way. Assume your is infected and is not your friend. Also assume the hacker is much smarter about how much damage your smart device can deliver on you.

I can't believe there are trusting fools that will buy smart security systems. You may as well leave the doors unlocked.

12. aldan

aldan Active member

still stand to oneside when getting a soda from a machine.LOL

13. Mez

Mez Active member

When you have been married 30+ yrs you realize just how long it will take to break in a new spouse up to the one you have now. You realize it is easier just to annoy the one you have when they annoy you and leave it at that.

14. aldan

aldan Active member

true enough,we annoy one another.lol

15. Mez

Mez Active member

Sure, but what are you going to do except annoy them back. You mate is about as compatible to you as they come. Anyone else will be more trouble after the honeymoon.