1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aim virus on my mobile phone?

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by dragnandy, Jul 25, 2009.

1. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

recently, my friends and family have been telling me that i have gotten an aim virus and have been sending them one of those odd instant messages linking them to get the virus too. the weird thing is that all the times they get the virus, im on aim mobile. and when i am signed on aim on the computer, i dont seem to have the virus. its like i have the virus on my phone, but i dont see how that would affect me because i dont have the aim program on my phone, my mobile number is simply connected to my aim account (i think thats how aim mobile works). does anybody have any idea on how i can possibly fix this?

2. keith1993

keith1993 Regular member

It isn't a virus its a spambot. What's happened is a nasty website has asked for your aim account and password and you've put it in. The site is now signing into your account from another location (not your PC or phone) and using it to spread links to bogus sites that in themselves attempt to get peoples aim account details off them.

The easiest way of fixing this is simply changing your password that way the spambot won't be able to sign into your account any more.

The fact it seems to occur on your phone is more probably a case of apophenia (Google it if you don't know what it is) more then anything else.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009