1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backing up files to dvd disc or hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by AndyLaz, Mar 8, 2014.

1. AndyLaz

AndyLaz Member

I'd first like to say I searched the forums to find what is the appropriate forum for my question and hope this is the right one . I have many music and video files backed up to a DVD+R disc and it's been so long since Iv'e done this I can't remember what program worked best for me . I'm thinking of backing up my files to the internal hard drive I have and need to know how do I recover them if I have a complete system restore done ?

2. attar

attar Senior member

If you have a single hard drive create an image of the drive and a rescue disk;save the image to an external drive.
    If the internal drive is kaput and has to be replaced, the image can be restored to the new drive using the rescue disk.
    In Windows 7 you can use Windows own Backup feature to do this.

3. AndyLaz

AndyLaz Member

I've had no luck so far . I tried to follow steps given from microsoft using windows backup that include the following steps : Click start , control panel , system maintenance , only there's no system maintenance on my PC anymore and don't no why . I don't know how to create an image of my internal drive and rescue disc .

4. attar

attar Senior member

In Windows 7, go into Control Panel.
    In the search box,top right, type 'backup'.
    You should see the result of the search on the left.
    Click on 'Backup and Restore'

[​IMG]

Next screen shows the two selections.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. AndyLaz

AndyLaz Member

I'm going to ask advice from some local computer shops I sometimes take my pc to because iv'e done everything and can't find backup any where . I'll keep you updated , thanks for trying to help .

6. aldan

aldan Active member

if you really want to back up everything you should really consider getting a second hard drive and use a cloning program such as acronis true image or macrium reflect.both have free versions.what they do is create an exact copy of your existing hdd on a second hdd.in the event of catastrophic hdd failure you simply restart your computer and go to the boot menu and set your second hdd as boot.once you are back into windows you can clone your secondary drive to the original (if its not dead)or you can install a new hdd and clone to it.

7. AndyLaz

AndyLaz Member

I think I may know what the problem is . I just installed a new dvd burner called a optiarc SATA DVD+R DL with OVERBURN UP TO 8.7 GB . When I place the disc in the tray and go to my computer and click on CD-drive I receive a pop-up saying " D:\is not accessible /incorrect function -0k ... when I right click on CD-DRIVE I see the D drive ... I have a feeling this new burner is not recognizing the discs I use that are verbatim dual layer DVD+R DL discs and it should .. it used to be I could just place a blank DVD disc in the tray and click on my computer and drag and drop files onto it .