1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't unpack file.winrar says file is corrupt, quickpar says no data found.

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by wheelstb, Apr 10, 2014.

1. wheelstb

wheelstb Regular member

I am trying to get a rar file to unpack. When I look inside the archive with winrar I can see that the file is there. I am starting the unpacking with the first archived file (--> symbol is next to the file.)

When I try to extract the file WinRAR tells me the file is corrupt. I have tried using quickpar to repair the file. When I tried to use quickpar I receive a message saying, no data found.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum as not a "usenet newsgroups" issue.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

check comments on the site download came from, if it appears ok & your positive the hard drive has no corrupted sectors re download or find another source,might pay to preallocate space for it as well

the no data found would suggest exactly that there is something or a part missing or perhaps the whole lot,so what if you can see a file or container it doesn't mean there's anything in it,ok so it says in properties x amount of allocated space that means nothing all it's telling you is space has been pre-allocated the container can still be empty

4. kyla

kyla Newbie

Read this post and perform recovery function by using WinRar application. It is a freeware solution if you do not want to use any recovery software or your file has less corruptions.

How to Repair RAR File?

You can also recover file if you have back up copy of it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  5. dikbozo

dikbozo Member

This "--> symbol is next to the file" indicates you need at least another .RAR file to continue. Ususally it will be named something like the first one with some sort of additional numbering to indicate it iis next or second. You may need more than 1 file to complete the extraction.

6. hanoobal

hanoobal Regular member

Indeed, the RAR file you are trying to extract seems to be only one of a sequence of RAR files. In order to be able to successfully extract what's inside, you'd need to have access to the rest (all of the rest) of the RAR files.

7. Pattri

Pattri Member

If your RAR archive is corrupted, you can try to repair it by using WinRAR built-in repair feature, known as "Repair Archive". Follow the steps given below:
    1. Launch WinRAR tool on your system.
    2. Click on File tab > Open. Or press Ctrl+O.
    3. Now locate the corrupted RAR archive in the "Find Archive" window.
    4. Click on Tools tab > Repair Archive. Or press Alt+R.
    5. In the "Repairing File name.RAR" window, click on Browse button to select a location for new repaired archive .
    6. Before starting the repair action, make sure the box is checked. If not, then check it and click on OK.
    7. The repairing process will be started and completed within a few seconds. Click on Close and check the new repaired RAR archive.
    If this manual trick fails to repair your RAR archive, you may try some third-party RAR repair or recovery tools. I can recommend here SysInfoTools Archive Recovery tool here that can recover your data from corrupted RAR and other archive files, such as: ZIP, TAR, TAR.Gz and 7z. You can try its free demo version first before purchasing its licensed version. To read more about this tool and to download its free demo version, visit: www.sysinfotools.com/archive-recovery.html

Thanks.

8. Mez

Mez Active member

A second opinion, go with the first suggestion unless you can't. You normally will not recover all of the files. At least one will be corrupt.