1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

data recovery with pareto logic and windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by evo99, Apr 5, 2011.

1. evo99

evo99 Regular member

hi poeple

first time poster in this forum so please excuse me if its in the wrong place

ok the issue i have is i regularly use paretologic data recovery pro and have recently been asked to recover a friends external hdd to which i did only to find that i cannot open any files at all the pics say preview unavailable and music says extension incorrect the files are there and display file size the only problem i can see is that they run windows 7 and i recovered it on xp could this be the issue? any info appreciated

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Your recovery program flagged the files as what.Ignoring the pictures as to me they have been lost regardless what OS is used,the music is a different story,OS related me thinks not have you tried renaming & adding the extension it may even require using a tag editor all of which is a waste of time if the hdd wasn't given to you straight away but instead was contiually written too,to me xp can read extensions there's nothing special about win 7 unless it's encrypted those files,if the music files showed up with their original names in the recovery program you may be in luck

3. evo99

evo99 Regular member

thanks for the reply the hdd was given to me within hrs after a mistake in formatting (they formatted the wrong device) also the file names ext and size are all intact as they were on the hdd i have done this many times and this is the first issue ive had also the hdd was new with only around 80Gg wrote to it so there would have been a clear 900Gg(its a 1TB) or so to have used before it would have overwritten those sectors.

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

The file names intact isn't really a good indication of recovery been there done that & same thing no picture when it's recovered as for the music files it would appear they are seriously damaged this suggests that a quick format wasn't performed,the program you've used doesn't show the degree of recoverability which i find odd as all the others i've used do at this point i don't know what else to advise,i'm not even sure if getdataback (which would no doubt take hours)or easeus partiton recovery (free & to be used as last resort only) would work,getdataback is free if you know where to download it *cough* torrent,the fact logic couldn't do it i beleive says it all

5. NteStlKr

NteStlKr Member

well, it looks like you've mounted the drive... which is bad. You need to use a program and make a backup image of the drive exactly as it is now, then work on that backup (you can do whatever to it, and if you screw up, make a new one and the data is still safe). This is basic protocol man, come on.

but anyway, boot up whatever linux distro you prefer (and if you don't have a preference, use ubuntu 10.04) and use dd, setting "if" to the drive (like SDA1, or whatever), and "of" to a file (such as 'bobs1tb.image'). It is important to set the "of" parameter to a file (and not a partition or drive letter) for obvious reasons. Then analyze with testdisk, mount the image and play with it with something else, or just do whatever you need to recover what you can by using standard procedures.

No offense, but it pretty clear that you... don't have much experience with this. I strongly suggest you go to a linux forum and get some real help. I just posted the above info to keep you from destroying the data even more than you already have by accessing the affected drive... lol

good luck

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

How does mounting & acessing in read mode damage anything then to create a backup image requires that very same drive to be mounted & read,where's the damage comming from since it's ain't being written too,i understand create image part but not the former

7. evo99

evo99 Regular member

hi i sorted it out cheerz scorNZ it seems that pareto logic was just not up to the task i mean it was only a simple format getbackdata 4.22 worked straight away it recoverd 280G in 8 hrs
    it seems you had more fun saying i was stupid and also assuming things i had done wrong rather than guidance.

there was no data damaged LOL! as i,m not theat stupid

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member