1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Find file history (dates, versions)

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by HDS, Mar 12, 2014.

1. HDS

HDS Member

I hope I will be able to explain this properly. I'm looking for a way to find the actual dates that files were created or edited. I know that if you go in the file Properties in Windows, it gives you a Created, Modified and Accessed date, but if those have been burnt on a CD, they are the dates that the CD was made, not the date that the files were created.

I remember that there was some sort of software that allows you to trace back the previous versions of an audio file (finding out if the WAV was converted from another WAV or from an mp3) when I was signed onto the What.cd website. They required people to use this program to verify that the audio being uploaded was from a valid CD source and not converted from a lossy mp3. Does anyone know which program this is and if it would help me in my case?

The file types that I would like to see history from would be mp3, wav, html, jpg, bpm/

I'm a musician and I have a lot of backup data CDs with mp3s of my songs and I really hope to find the dates that they were recorded!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

just used a tagreader i couldn't see anywhere that a flac file was ripped direct from a cd not even mediainfo could tell,moving files from one computer to another changes the properties so not even creation date stays original unless you get a file program that doesn't alter original data when transferring,there's a few mentions of this on the web do a search you may get lucky,tho trying to trace back to what the original file was seems odd that would need to be held in the metadata & i assume it would be necessary to force the rip program to include original source data to be included & unless this box was ticked it wouldn't appear ?