AfterDawn Forums

Issues burning Windows/Mac CDs for software distribution

This discussion thread has 2 messages.

I have developed a software application for Windows and Mac. I want to burn it, along with installation programs to a CD. I plan to use either a Windows 7 or 8 machine to burn the CDs.

I started out burning the CD on a Windows 7 machine using Windows' "Mastered" CD/DVD burn option. This worked fine on Windows but didn't work at all on Mac.

Next I burned the same CD on a Windows 8 machine using Windows' standard "Burn a Disk" tool and the "Live File System" (like a USB flash drive) option. This seems to be inconsistent on both Windows and Mac. I loaded the burned CD on a Windows 7 computer. The first CD worked great. The second CD (virtually identical content) looked fine. I ran the install program which appeared to work. However, the results were wrong - the files weren't copied properly and the desktop shortcut pointed to the wrong location. I copied the files from the "bad" CD to the Windows 7 hard drive, re-ran the install and everything worked perfectly. I repeated this experiment on Mac (OS 10.6) and it behaved the same way as on Windows 7.

I can only conclude that there's something about the CD burning process that is wrong. Any thoughts on why this might be happening? I'm open to buying a tool for the burn process if necessary but I need the solution to be able to product consistently correct CDs.

Thanks. B.
▼▼ This topic has 1 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
moved to correct forum.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.