AfterDawn Forums

Windows server 2008 and usage for sharing files, and havingseperate desktops

Hi everyone,

sorry the subject wasn't so clear, but I had acquired a dell computer with a fresh copy of windows server 2008. There are no roles assigned, no domain, no forest, looks clear. I haven't really touched 2008, (never touched 2011, somehow I helped a friend out with it) pretty much all I can really remember is setting up a domain. I have three things I want to get accomplished.

I want to be able to log in to the domain from any client computer with the same user name (one at a time) when logging in, I want everything to be saved and ran from the server. Meaning if I have a few files on the desktop on one client, I can log off, go to another client and the desktop is the same. Maybe just the files, not programs?

I want to automatically add shares to the computer anytime any user logs on. As much as I read about it, windows 7/vista network filesharing feels like pulling teeth somehow at times I can get it to work.

Last but not least have a way of dropping files into certain user account folders.

The dell computer I have has 4gb ram, and one nic. I can add another if needed. The client computers all have windows 7 professional on them. One has ultimate. There are three clients so far. I also have a mac mini, I'd like to be able to access a share from time to time.

The windows computers, I have the restore disc for one of them, I'm going to ask for the others in case if they are needed.

Any help, suggestions, and question are all appreciated.
▼▼ This topic has 0 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.