1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anybody in the military?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by bestname, Nov 9, 2009.

1. bestname

bestname Member

just wondering if anybody here is serving there country? i am currently in the US marine corps as an air traffic controller. unfortunatly i was injured and am receiving a medical discharge before the end of my obligated contract. so any service members, retirees, or prior service members in here? any good stories?

2. solamf30

solamf30 Member

Was in U.S. Army for 8 years. Currently going to school through the G.I.Bill. As far a funny stories. I have tons esp being combat arms and all the dumb shit we did in Iraq and Bosnia

3. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

Was in the U.S. Army Infantry, stationed stateside. Who doesn't have funny stories from their time in service. What else are you supposed to do when you have a bunch of guys with nothin better to do than to amuse themselves!!

4. solamf30

solamf30 Member

Well according to the 1SG there was allows something to do. He was always on us NCO's about hip pocket training

5. bestname

bestname Member

very true thats what imma miss about the corps is the stories, and the very "unique" to say the least ppl you will meet. and ill miss the garrison ceremonies and events, however i wont miss all the extra training and work that goes along side with performing your job.

6. solamf30

solamf30 Member

The only thing I don't miss is the politics. I had a great experience and got paid to shoot things and blow shit up. Cav Scouts with C4 can be a dangerous thing and the less I was in garrison the happier I was. Rather be in the field any day of the week

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  7. bestname

bestname Member

very true its all about who u know and who likes you. my buddy got njp'd
    for doing the same things i sometimes do the only difference is ppl like me, and hes a disrespectful "soup sandwich". but id have to disagree i prefer garrison. i like keepin the uniforms nice pulling out the bravos or chucks to wear, AND I DESPISE BABY WIPES!!!!!

8. rtm27

rtm27 Regular member

I preferred being in the field compared to garrison. Too bad they kept busting our budget, cutting us down to 1 live fire a year....with our ammo allotment cut in half.

Being part of an infantry mortar section when they reorganized the armored cav units to humvees had its moments.....especially when we could find a place to hide in the field and not be found for a few hours.

9. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

If you don't like politics, why would you work for the government? At least in the USA, the military is controled by the President...a politician who uses the military for political purposes. You might as well say, "The only thing I don't miss are the airplanes and guns".

10. bestname

bestname Member

u dont understand not politics like senate. pretty much like office politics, such as ppl kissing arse, and closed door meetings, and back stabbing.

11. scum101

scum101 Guest

I always thought it was Rumsfeld who ran the military, like he runs the president and foreign policy, to keep his multi billion armaments corporations in business.

I have military service stories also.. but I was on the other side so I will STFU.

12. bestname

bestname Member

well actually the corps is the only branch of service that takes orders directly from the president

13. scum101

scum101 Guest

and the president takes his orders from the advisers.. vested interests like Rumsfeld.. case proved.

14. bestname

bestname Member

its actually honorable mr. gates now

15. hill16

hill16 Regular member

no never served in the military serves in any way because i live in a country where military does not control every thing get your military out of IRAQ and AFGANISTAN and let them control their own countries coming from an irish man we know it works better

16. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

We have a saying in america...send the troops over there so they can't bother us over here...or something like that...

BTW...the american people have no control over the military. Obama won the election because he said he would end the war...instead he sent even more troops over there. The demo-publican party has full control over the elections anyway, and they make sure that we are stuck choosing between terrible and awfull. People say that voting for a third party is a waisted vote...I say voting for someone that you don't want to win is a waisted vote...even not voting is better, as you are not voting against the 3rd party candidates.

17. scum101

scum101 Guest

how about "none of the above"?? or have they taken that option away now?