1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I get out of a rut?

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by BIFF0, Nov 11, 2009.

1. BIFF0

BIFF0 Regular member

I am 22 and finished college over 5 months ago. I can't get work because the way things in Ireland are now.
    I always think of all these things I want to do but never do them. Get in shape, take night classes etc. but I never follow through. I have done absolutely nothing since leaving college and I am not really happy with my life at the moment.
    I get distracted really easy and have no focus and even when I was in college I was a big underachiever. Someone said meditation and mental training could help. Anyone know anything about these or have any other suggestions to help me get my butt in gear. I am open to any suggestions.

2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

The medication they are refering to is amphetemines...these are very bad for your health, but they will get your attention up (you will be up at 5AM cleaning your bathroom floor with a toothbrush).

Mental training does help, but it's main advantage is to give you confidence. These is always work available...it is just a matter of being the best candidate; and this is rarely the most qualified candidate.

I don't know if this appeals to you, but you might consider charity work. I am not too familiar with Ireland, but I imagine they have something equivelant to the peace corps, united way, etc... These groups are always looking for people, and the work is extremely rewarding. You will also meet a lot of good people.

3. BIFF0

BIFF0 Regular member

Well even though you misread meditation for medication cheers for the reply. I like the charity work idea.

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

get a g/f she will nag you till you do something.if you still live with your parents im surprised they dont nag you to do something.meditation is the most boring thing in the world.you need to think what you want and how to get it.start looking at things like your tv and computer and say to yourself i could do with a new computer or tv if i get a job i can buy things i want.if you go see a good psychologist they might be able to help.You need to find a reason or inspiration to do thing.im 25 and living with my mum and im on unemployment benefits and my bodys not as good as it use to be plus i got mental problems from taking amphetamines and smoking pot.just read the last 2 sentences of this post and think about what you could end up like.

5. scum101

scum101 Guest

well step one you have already passed.. realising you don't want to sit around on your arse.. step 2 follows.. apply the same line of reasoning to everything else around you... Think about what you really enjoy doing, and the things you hate doing.. and then apply yourself somewhere in the middle.. skills be damned.. the gift of the gab is what always opened doors for me, not bits of paper XD

I'm nearly 44 and trans and hard as bloody nails.. I survive by blagging and conning my way into and out of situations. I have been on tv at no1 and I have had a mortgage and a business and a career and a nice job where I was the boss.. and I walked away from all of that to be myself.. Just remember this one vital little bit of wisdom I learned a long time ago.. "nobody is going to do it for you".. once that is realised it all becomes a lot clearer.

Nobody gonna tear me down baby :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2009
  6. DXR88

DXR88 Regular member

i have ADHD and i find meditation helps clear the mind of all that unwanted clutter. other than that its about as useless sweeping the dirt out of your yard.

i stopped taking my meds about 2 years ago, i find that some aspects of my life have improved why others have dwindled. for instance when i was in school i was the last person you wanted to crack wise at, because i cracked back and had to explain why i knocked this kids teeth out.

off my meds im like a twitch crack addict trying to rebuild a motor bike that is beyond repair with a stick of crazy glue and wood putty all the while looking for a job.

im telling ya man some people cant win for loosing.

7. scum101

scum101 Guest

Ye don't do too bad XD