1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is This Legal?! Please Help?!?!

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Downloader, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Downloader

Downloader Member

Alright, so, I'm planning on downloading a whole bunch of videos from Viacom's server. The videos are episodes of the Nickelodeon TV Show "Robot And Monster". The episodes are RTMPE encoded, I will use the program URL Snooper to find the RTMP Link for each episode video, and once I have that I know how to make it into an HTTP Link so that I can download them. The big question is, will I get in trouble for this?! I mean, the episodes are provided for free on the website, but they are copyrighted so it could be considered piracy, right? But it's not like I'm going to sell them, post them, or redistribute them in any way, they'll be totally for my own personal viewing. I am planning on downloading the episodes to my DROID 3 Cell Phone using an app called Free Video Downloader. I'm also planning on using the Opera Web Browser, and setting its proxy settings to hide my IP address, is this a good idea? Are there any other/better ways of downloading the videos to my phone and/or hiding my IP? If there are, please let me know. So anyway, do you think that downloading all these episodes will get me in trouble for piracy? What is the worst that can happen to me for doing this? Please respond as soon as possible. Also, PLEASE let me know if any of you have any tips/tricks that could help me with this. THANKS so much, guys, I really appreciate your help! :)

2. Vato

Vato Regular member

Any thing copyrighted is like it is stated...."Copyrighted" so YES!!! It will be illegal to download.
    Also using a programs like URL snooper does not help your cause (in case you get caught) If it's free online to watch why do you want to download it when you can easily watch it online and even hook it up to your TV and watch it full screen.
    If you must download it to watch it somewhere else why don't you do a video screen capture using Microsoft Expression Encoder 4.0 and then save it will save the captured file as a WMP video file.
    Easier, safer and no need to fiddle around with all them programs.
    Unless you can dl from a private source you are asking to get busted.

3. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

if you get caught you can be charged and fined up to $250000 per episode and face jail time.

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

6. Downloader

Downloader Member

@Vato I'm asking to get busted? How much of a chance do you think there really is?
    @xboxdvl2 $250,000 per episode plus jail time? I think that's a little extreme. Someone on another forum, who's friend is actually a lawyer, said that it would take a court case to decide if it's illegal, and there's a 99.999999% chance that Viacom won't want to sue me. I really think I'm going to be okay.
    @Ripper I don't even know what that's supposed to mean. Why wouldn't I download a bear, anyway? That would be kind of cool. :) If you're trying to get a point across, please say it. Thanks.

I appreciate the responses, guys. Thanks. :)

7. aldan

aldan Active member

its not about viacom suing you,its the copyright holder suing you.read the news,its happened.no offence but this lawyer and the only thing he got right is that viacom wouldnt sue you.its like anything else,how much do you want to risk for free content?all the guys are doing is letting you know what the possibilities are.its ultimately your choice.

8. Downloader

Downloader Member

@aldan Well, Viacom is the copyright holder. I would be (and I will be, tomorrow) downloading the episode video files off of there server, where they upload the episodes to post them to the Nickelodeon website. They use RTMPE encryption on the files, but I've figured out how to access them and download them. I've been asking this question on a bunch of other forums, and almost all of the responses on those say that I'll be fine and I'm being too paranoid. Which I probably am. So, thanks for your responses, guys, I do appreciate your opinions, but I think I'll be alright. :)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  9. aldan

aldan Active member

my bad.should have realized about viacom.if anything happens they will contact your ip and have them contact you.good luck.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  10. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i just checked the copyright warning on an original dvd. says $50000 per an offence or up to 5 years imprisonment.
    corporations can face up to $250000 per offence.
    i was a little off in my first post cause i didnt check the copyright warning on a dvd.

to fine or take legal action against you they will have to take you to court.

the thing is millions of people commit piracy.a lot of people dont discuss it and dont get caught.

by going on a public forum and asking if its legal and being told is isnt and saying you will do it anyway is an admission of guilt and if legal action was taken against you they could actually print this whole thread and providing they could prove your the poster it could be used to show that you knew it was illegal and did it anyway.

@ddp i suggest you close this thread and have it completely removed.
    @ripper your pic made me laugh
    @downloader smarten up.

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.