1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TOO MUCH CRAP ON CHRISTMAS. MY COMPUTER IS A BUGGER.

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Pnknjnk, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Pnknjnk

Pnknjnk Member

So.
    I don't have much money this christmas. Spent about 10 bucks on everyone in my family, got em stuff they liked, but little stuff. A movie, game, et cetera.
    They got mad at me last christmas, finally like me, yay.
    But I figure I could copy them some of the series I watch that they like, like dexter and house and stuff, I've got all of it and stuff. I've got a few hundred blank TY DVDs, and a decent burner.
    Someone very nice quickly pointed me to the perfect ap, and it took about an hour for encoding and burning. I realize: My roommate has a phenom in a PC that he can't use right now due to mmobo issues! maybe he'll borrow it to me! Well he says I can borrow it for a few months, cha-frickin-ching, and I'm pretty excited.

I got the one DVD of half a season burned, so I get crackin' on the upgrade, figuring it'll take ten minutes till I'm up and running again.

3 days later I finally slap my old proc back in and just get chugging again, finally, late christmas night. Uhg. turns out the proc was faulty, I'm pretty sure. So much research and dicking around. the phenom gave him issues and we figured it was his board, but I think it was just the dammn proc, thinking thermal paste leaked it, and it sure looks that way if you take a look at the little guy, too. Found some references on the internet of such an issue where the system would post but fail to boot XP, and I had really run my solutions dry, I couldn't even REINSTALL XP because the install would hang on 'setup is loading windows"

So... no upgrade for me. I'll get a phenom in a few months when they aren't cool anymore. Heh.

steam released, and such.

2. scum101

scum101 Guest

xp hangs on setup in that way because it's detecting a write protected file in the location it insists writing to.. with the same name... watch and see.. chances are it's the same file every time. I run active@killdisk on say the first 5% of the hdd and that cures it every time.

of course.. it could be dodgy ram too.. though that's often more random.

sometimes letting a thing like this post and then leave it alone for about an hour.,. next time you look it will have started up... closedown with a chkdisk run scheduled.